Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 Constantly drops Internet with Multiple Users V1.12.0.18 does NOT resolve permanently

dsturdevant
Guide

Orbi RBK50 Constantly drops Internet with Multiple Users V1.12.0.18 does NOT resolve permanently

To fix my Orbi system from dropping my Internet connection every hour I applied the latest firmware V1.12.0.18 and for a few months it worked perfectly.  Nothing with the software or hardware infrastructure changed when suddenly my Internet connection began dropping constantly again but ONLY when there was more than 1 user active on the Internet.  The Orbi system works PERFECT when I'm home alone on the Internet but when my kids come home and are using Youtube Orbi INSTANTLY drops the Internet connection and must be rebooted to resolve the issue very temporarily.  Returning this year-old product is not an option.  I didn't realize I was beta testing this system when I shelled out 3 times as much as I paid for the previous system that worked just as well without constant drops.  Will Netgear ever fix this issue PERMANENTLY!?!?! 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi RBK50 Constantly drops Internet with Multiple Users V1.12.0.18 does NOT resolve permanently

Hello Dsturdevant

We released the 2.0 firmware on the community you may want to try that firmware out and see if that resolves the issue.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
dsturdevant
Guide

Re: Orbi RBK50 Constantly drops Internet with Multiple Users V1.12.0.18 does NOT resolve permanently

Thanks Darren.  My Orbi updated autmatically and I checked the logs to see when but found nothing.  Today for the first time ever my internet dropped twice in one hour while I was home alone and the only person using the network.  I hope that was BEFORE the firmware update and just an anomoly and not a new symptom of the updated firmware.  I'll keep an eye on it and post any updates.  Thanks for your efforts and the notification!

Message 3 of 5
dsturdevant
Guide

Today was the first day I had multiple users on my network, three to be exact, since updating to the firmware and my Orbi dropped the Internet connection promptly after just 40 minutes. Then after a reboot it did it again about 1 hour later.  Firmware version 2.0 seems to have had zero effect on my issue.  When I am the only user on the network my Orbi NEVER drops the Internet connection. I'm far beyond the 90 days I had to return this product to Costco but I'm pretty sure I'll be throwing my 3 unit system into the garbage and going back to a reliable router.  It's really too bad the solution to this problem seems to elude Netgear.  With the router and 2 satellites my wifi coverage was signifigantly expanded.  It just drops every hour.

Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dsturdevant

Our support team would like to work with you send me a Pm with your name, email, and phone number and I will have them contact you to try and resolve the issue you are having.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7