Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 was disconnected from Satellite and couldn't connect again

borwornsuk
Aspirant

Orbi RBK50 was disconnected from Satellite and couldn't connect again

Hello,

I bought Orbi RBK50 around 4-5 months ago and it used to work perfectly until last week. 

I found out that my devices couldn't connect to wifi which used to work smothly. Because my Router couldn't find the Satellite, so I tried to reset by pressing the reset button at the back (first time only 1 click) on both devices.

Then I tried to set everything up from the begining using Orbi App in iOS as I did in the first time. The wifi doesn't seem to be stable (unable to join, incorrect password) and even I could connect to the wifi then it won't find the Satellite and will be disconnected after few seconds.

See VDO from below link;

https://youtu.be/ahgj7hZCaAg

After that I switched to my PC, setting up the router by wired LAN instead of Wifi. Then, I was strucked since the Router coun't find the Satellite again. Even I moved Satellite so close to the Router, there was still magenta light on it after a period without pairing.

I did the hard reset once again with longer press (1 mins) as read from this community but nothing change.

Belows are more informations;

Are you have a RED LED blink on the router? 

Top LED ring of Router is solid white. Power LED is now green.

What model Orbi system do you have? 

> RBK50 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System

What FW is currently loaded? 

2.1.3.4 but it used to be 2.0.1.4 before I tried to manually install the FW to it

I'm not sure about FW of the satellite since I was unable to pair the satellite.

How big is your home? SqFt? 

> It was function well for more than 4 months. My home has 2 floors. Aprx 1400 sq.ft. for each floor.

How far appart is the router from the Satellite? 

> Before having problem, my router is on the 2nd floor and the Satellite on the 1st, around 30 ft from each other.

Set the router using a wired connected PC or laptop instead of the orbi app.

> First use was set by Orbi app. But since I was disconnected everytime I tried to find Satellite, I used wired connect to PC instead but I didn't work so far.

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

> 3 neighbors' Wifi near by around 30-60m. from the router

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 was disconnected from Satellite and couldn't connect again

When you upgraded to v2.1.3.4, did you perform a factory reset on both router and satellite then set up from scratch? This needs to be done for this version of FW.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chaing and Fast Roaming and IPv6 on the router to test.

1400sq ft is a bit small for a Orbi system and satellite. Depending where the router is placed, centrally or at an opposite end of the home with the satellite at the other. You might try using the Orbi router alone placed centrally and see how it works.

Message 2 of 4
tsig
Luminary

@FURRYe38

When you upgraded to v2.1.3.4, did you perform a factory reset on both router and satellite then set up from scratch? This needs to be done for this version of FW.

I've seen you say this several times, and it simply isn't true.  My system auto updated to the latest version of the firmware on its own and everything has been just fine.  It may be a step to take if you have issues, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

May for you and others, thats fine. Others have said that factory resets have fixes there continued problems with this FW. I have information as well that says it should be done for this version.

Enjoy.

@tsig wrote:

@FURRYe38

I've seen you say this several times, and it simply isn't true.  My system auto updated to the latest version of the firmware on its own and everything has been just fine.  It may be a step to take if you have issues, but it certainly isn't a requirement.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7