Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR20 blocks Spectrum TV App

ReneeD68
Initiate

Orbi RBR20 blocks Spectrum TV App

My RBR20 seems to be blocking the Spectrum TV App on all my devices.  I use Apple products including Apple TV with exception of one Roku and the app is not working on that device either.  I do know the app is working, because if I switch to data on my devices the app works.  Also, if I swich back to my Spectrum provided router the app works.  I spent several hours on the phone with Spectrum and they suggested that the Orbi router may be blocking the app.  All other apps work fine -- Hulu, Prime including subcription permission apps like Showtime and ESPN.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR20 blocks Spectrum TV App

It sounds as if you have two "routers" (Spectrum and Orbi), which is called a "Doublt NAT" condition:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

(and also that the Spectrum WiFi is still enabled, competing with the Orbi)

If you are not using any of the Orbi "router features", it could be put into Access Point mode as an experiment to see if that enables the Spectrum app to work.

Since I personally do use Orbi features, I put the Spectrum modm into "bridge mode" which conveniently disables the Spectrum WiFi.

I seem to recall seeing severl bursts of complaints about the Spectrum app a couple of months ago.  Might search the forum (box in upper left) and see if those situations match yours.

Message 2 of 3
ReneeD68
Initiate

Re: Orbi RBR20 blocks Spectrum TV App

I completely disconnected the spectrum router and was only using the Orbi.  I've been messing around with everything and if I use the spectrum router as the main router and jump the orbi from the spectrum router, the app will work IF I make sure that I am using the Spectrum 2 or 5G wi-fi.  The app will not work if it is conncected to Orbi still even jumping off the Spectrum router.  

I'm definitely a techno-tard, so I'm not sure what "bridge mode" or "access point" is.  I'll check out the link you provided and keep searching.  I guess if I have to I'll leave it set up with the two routers "Doublt Nat" (learned something today.). But that does slow down the speed getting to the Orbi-linked devices.  Those devices are being fed by the Orbi satelite in the back part of my house.  

Thank you for responding so quickly.

@CrimpOn wrote:

It sounds as if you have two "routers" (Spectrum and Orbi), which is called a "Doublt NAT" condition:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

(and also that the Spectrum WiFi is still enabled, competing with the Orbi)

If you are not using any of the Orbi "router features", it could be put into Access Point mode as an experiment to see if that enables the Spectrum app to work.

Since I personally do use Orbi features, I put the Spectrum modm into "bridge mode" which conveniently disables the Spectrum WiFi.

I seem to recall seeing severl bursts of complaints about the Spectrum app a couple of months ago.  Might search the forum (box in upper left) and see if those situations match yours.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7