Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 - Internet status says Not Connected

sawall
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 - Internet status says Not Connected

I have an Orbi RBR50 (and a satellite).  Looking at the status for the Internet, it says "Not Connected" (see image).  But for the PC hardwired, it works, and wireless works - most of the time.  I cannot find anything that helps with what this error is or what to do.  I'm on firmware 2.1.4.16.  I've rebooted them, checked all the settings, and cannot find anything wrong.  They are set up in AP mode.  Any thoughts?

orbi_notconnected.png

Thanks,

chris

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 - Internet status says Not Connected

What browser are you using? Try different browsers, FF, Opera and IE11...

Besure to clear out your browser caches before entering intot the routers web page...

Message 2 of 15
sawall
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38.  I've used FF and Safari and two different computers.  All result with the same. 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would power OFF the router and ISP modem for 1 minute, power back ON the modem and let it sync. Then power ON the router. Clear browser caches the re-enter the routers web page.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

Message 4 of 15
sawall
Aspirant

I'm in AP mode, so the RBR50 is connected directly to a switch and firewall.  The firewall is connected to the ISP modem.  Good advice, I did that as well.  And the switch port shows a good link and connectivity to the RBR50.  I have the "internet" port of the RBR50 tied directly to that switch.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem, firewall and this switch?

I would test the router directly connected to the firewall bypassing the switch as a quick test...

Message 6 of 15
sawall
Aspirant

I can try to connect the Orbi directly to the ISP modem and see if that matters / changes.  It's from Spectrum (aka Charter), but I don't know the model.  The firewall / switch is a Palo Alto.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you know if the ISP modem is a modem only or does it have a built in router?

Message 8 of 15
sawall
Aspirant

I think it is a modem only.  It passes the Internet IP directly to my firewall.  But I would need to confirm.  I will have to look up the model and I'm not able to do so at the moment.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Modem/Router combo units can cause some problems.

If your WAN port on the Orbi router is connected to the firewall, should see good connetion, however could be something minor that is causing the status not to read correctly...

Might be some work, however you could test the Orbi in Router mode directly connected to the ISP modem and then check it's status.

Message 10 of 15
merrybubbles
Aspirant

I have the same problem.
all my devices connect properly.

My PC is connected directly to the switch then to the firewall. and everything works. no problem.

All the phones and ipads ect all work. youtube and all the sites work.

However, in the netgear orbi status page, it shows the same sign and the author.
If my netgear orbi was truely offline, it would not be able to download the update.

I'm wondering if it is becuase there is a website that the orbi router is trying to contact but can't that is why it says the network status is not connected?

orbi_notconnected.png

Message 11 of 15
sawall
Aspirant

Are you in AP mode or router?  I wonder if it's a flaw when in AP mode since it techincally doesn't have an "internet connection"?  But rather, the internet / external / WAN interface is just tied to the LAN and passing the connectivity through?  I've monitored my firewall logs, so never see a failure - I think your thought is still a possibilty on connecting to a remote site, but I haven't seen a failure, deny, or reset log for it (or I missed it).  

Message 12 of 15
merrybubbles
Aspirant

Mine is normally in AP mode. I even tried doing a factory reset wiping everything. Even in Router mode, it would show offline or disconnected.

WHich in itself is stupid since it received an IP address from my firewall, further it also was able to update my satellite firmware even when it said it was offline.

I'm not sure. I did see this problem before on an older firmware.Then after a few days of basically leaving it alone, it showed online. so i left it alone. However today it happened again, the whole wireless network died on my wife and all our mobile devices. after restarting, factory reset, the devices conncted again, but the internet still showed not connected.

It also seems that over time the network quality of the netgear orbi will degrade until you restart the whole mesh network.

Message 13 of 15
sawall
Aspirant

Mine still shows "not connected" on the main RBR50.  I did power down my satellite and haven't had it drop since.... so I will factory reset the satellite to see if that helps with my intermittent outage - I just haven't gotten to it yet to see if it helps.  But then again, that's a different issue than the "not connected" status on the Internet connection.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Forum Moderators may need to review this...

@DarrenM

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7