Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Keeps dropping internet help please.

FordFamily
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 Keeps dropping internet help please.

Hello. I have been extremely happy with my Orbi system of 4 units with 3 satellites on a fiber service for over 2 years. I don’t even remember having any issues until recently and now they are non stop.

Nothing that I am aware of has changed recently and even did a total new setup after verifying that it was the Orbi and not the ISP provider.

The system stayed up and running for 3 days without failure after total new setup then started dropping internet connection again. It drops the connection at minimum 2-3 times a day now and will not return to normal until I do multiple resets and power on power off attempts.

To be clear the main router is the only problem. All the satellites work properly both the wires and wireless satellites.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Keeps dropping internet help please.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Does the top ring on the RBR turn PINK when then happens?

Do both wired and wireless connections fail when this happens? 

Message 2 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

Firmware is up to date V2.7.4.24

I do not know any details of modem or such but will report back when take a look at it. It’s a fiber system and when hook directly to it the connection is stable without Orbi in the chain.

Top ring turns magenta/pink when it drops internet.

The network does not fail when this happens with the other satellites. Just no internet connection. The satellites are still connected both wired and wireless.

Bests
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Please find the Modem or ONT brand and model information.

Ok, if PINK then the RBR failed to get ISP services from the ISP or the ISP service box/Modem/ONT. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Check with your ISP to see if any user account or VLAN configurations is needed or required.

Message 4 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

I just checked with them if it was on their end and that’s when I bypassed the Orbi and plugged straight into the ONT device and had stable connection while the Orbi wouldn’t connect.

I’ll get the ONT model and number for you though.
Message 5 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

I don’t know if this is a default message that can pop up when no internet connection but I get the following message within the net gear router menu. Not the app menu but router menu under internet status-

“No Ethernet Cable is Plugged into the Orbi Router Internet Port”

“Make sure that the cable is securely plugged into both the broadband modem port and the Orbi router internet port”

“After you check the Ethernet cable, click the TRY AGAIN button”

I made sure it wasn’t a cable issue that was bad by switching it out to a brand new known to be working cable. This was after doing a reset, power cycle, followed by two reboots then it started working again this morning.

Could the internet port be going bad? I blew it out and made sure no dust was collecting on the port and plug.
Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Networking devices and computers cannot sense that a cable is physically inserted into the jack.  What they can detect is the electrical signal placed on several wires by a device at the other end of the cable. So, the instructions to "connect the cable" are based on an assumption that there is a working modem and 'everything will be fine' once the cable is connected.

If the modem is not working, that will appear exactly the same as when the cable is not connected.

How often does this situation occur?

Can it always be resolved by power cycling the router?

When it happens again, can you please click the "Test" button at the top of the internet page and see if that resolves the issue?

Message 7 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

The system has been up and running for like 2-3 years flawlessly until about 3-4 weeks ago. Never any drops or satellite issues ever. Just worked like it was supposed to work.

Then about 3-4 weeks ago I lost internet connection so figured it was my ISP so called them and went through an hour or more of trouble shooting which eventually led to them having me bypass the network altogether. I had rebooted the router and did a reset on it before I called without any luck. So really figured it was the ISP.

When the tech had me check by directly plugging into the ONT it was a stable connection so I got off phone with tech and did some more power cycles and resets. I don’t remember which eventually got it to start working again but eventually either a reset, power cycle, or reboot from app got it to start working again.

It happened for a second time a few days later and it again took multiple different cycling events for it to establish a connection.

The frequency isn’t something that can be linked to a certain time of the day or week and seems totally random. It may lose connection back to back right after regaining connection or it may work fine for hours before dropping it again.

It does appear that the frequency of drops is increasing with time now though. Having 2-3 drops in one day is not uncommon now and getting it to reconnect seems like it just magically starts working after a number of different tries with different random power cycles, reboots, or resets. Unplugging it and letting it sit idle unpowered for a period of time before plugging it back in (2-5 minutes) may have better percentage of getting it to work than resets or reboots, but that could just be my imagination.

But yes eventually one of the processes gets it to work again whether it takes 10 minutes or an hour to go through all the procedures.

I’m just at a lose of what to do. I really like the system and it’s coverage of our very large property and use the mesh and wired satellites for important connections so really hate to switch platforms.
Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Some questions we typically ask:

• Who is the ISP?
  • What is the brand/model of ONT they supplied?
  • What is the firmware version on the router?
Message 9 of 13
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @FordFamily,

Please check your PM so I can further assist you.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 10 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

I can’t see the ONT model or model number because it is located in a sealed weather proof enclosure on the exterior of the house. I can just see the batter backup device and cables going to and from the ONT.

I thought the battery backup was the ONT until I looked closer.

Today I just continued to Reboot the router from the APP until it decided to work and it took 6 reboots and roughly 30 minutes.
Message 11 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

Firmware is current version V2.7.4.24

ISP is Western Kentucky and Tennessee Rural Telephone

Fiber 1gig
Message 12 of 13
FordFamily
Aspirant

I ran the test at the Netgear router page under “Internet” and all the boxes where addresses was blank. It is set to get addresses automatically and no username needed for ISP.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7