Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router issues while gaming

Typhoon3214
Follower

Orbi Router issues while gaming

While gaming, playing fortnite specifically, I run into some issues in game when I ping is at 40-70 and when I do a Speedtest it says I have 15 ping while using Ethernet. Is there something wrong with my router and how could I fix it if possible?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Router issues while gaming

@Typhoon3214 wrote:
While gaming, playing fortnite specifically, I run into some issues in game when I ping is at 40-70 and when I do a Speedtest it says I have 15 ping while using Ethernet. Is there something wrong with my router and how could I fix it if possible?

With the gaming computer connected to Orbi with ethernet, there is little that can be done to reduce latency (ping, for example).  A brief search did not turn up the maximum latency that will work with Fortnite, however I did find this link that claims internet gaming should functin with pings under 150ms: https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/how-much-speed-do-i-need-for-online-gaming 

70ms is less than 1/10 of a second.  Is your trigger finger faster than that?

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Are you gaming with a wireless or wired connection to the Orbi? Wired is preferred. 

@Typhoon3214 wrote:

Message 3 of 7
1qwerty1
Tutor

When you are in the game, the interface shows you the ping ms times to the _game_ servers. If you are running a speedtest, the program picks the nearest test server to your location, thus different results.

The best way to test is to do a traceroute to find your next hop router on the ISP side and do a regular ping check to it. This is your latency check to your ISP's layer3 device (router). The numbers should be pretty low, what happens past the ISP hop is beyond your control. On the other hand, if you see numbers, say over 100ms, to your next ISP hop, you probably want to check with your provider for a resolution.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Can also use pingplotter.com as well. Neat little program. 

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Typhoon3214 wrote:

Message 6 of 7
joryszak
Aspirant

I have 1gig internet from COX. It comes into my home to my NETGEAR CM1000 modem. From there it goes into my ORBI RBR50. I plug my ps4 direclty into the orbi with the LAN cable. I recieve the same packet loss and lag spikes periodically. I seem to also recieve these same lag spikes over the wifi on my other devices. I DO have 15 devices connected to the orbi and satellite - doorbell, themostat, roomba, google minis, rokus etc. The lag spikes are so bad I cant even play games online. HELP!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7