Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite ‘Connection Type’

Aronius
Tutor

Orbi Satellite ‘Connection Type’

I have 1 Orbi RBR50 3000AC and one satellite. The orbi router is connected to a Virgin hub 3 which in in modem mode.

I also have a Sky Q silver and 2 sky q mini boxes. 1 of my sky minis are connected via Ethernet, to a switch which is connected to the main orbi router. My Sky Q main box is connected via Ethernet to the Orbi satellite.

My Sky Q’ minis keep going in and out with the connection to the main box saying that they don’t have a broadband connection. Sometimes my satellite ‘connection type’ shows as 2.4ghz, I assume this is because it is to far away from the main router so it cannot connect via the dedicated 5ghz band?

However, now the connection type shows as ‘wired’ (see attached). Why is this? Because the only Ethernet connection from the satellite is to the main Sky Q box???

Any solutions on how to fix the Sky Q connectivity problem/why it shows as wired? 🤔

Aaron

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Aronius
Tutor

Re: Orbi Satellite ‘Connection Type’

In short,

My orbi satellite shows it’s connection type as ‘wired’ when it should show 2.4/5ghz as the only device which is connected to the satellite via Ethernet is my Sky Q silver box. The sky q box does not show on the connected devices page for the satellite.
Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

It might help to know more about exactly which Sky Q equipment you have.  I only browsed the Sky web site for a few minutes, and one of the items that sort of "jumped out" was that some Sky Q devices include Powerline networking.  It could very well be that the Orbi satellite which is connected to the Sky Q Mini believes it is connected to a switch, which is a "wired" connection.  The router, being connected to the Sky Q main box might see the Sky Q Mini through the Powerline network.

Of course, this is all conjecture based on a brief look at the web site.  Is there some way to look at the Sky Q main hub settings and see if Powerline is turned on or off?

Message 3 of 7
Aronius
Tutor

Hiya,

Yeah I think your on the right lines. There’s no way to check the ‘powerline’ setting that I know of, I just know that the main Sky Q communicates with the other sky minis via 2.4ghz and 5ghz... creating another WiFi mesh.

It’s just strange how in the Orbi App , all of my Sky Q products show as ‘wired’ to the main Orbi router... however only the sky q main box is wired to the satellite and a mini is wired to a switch which is wired to the Orbi router!
Message 4 of 7
Aronius
Tutor

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Aronius wrote:
It’s just strange how in the Orbi App , all of my Sky Q products show as ‘wired’ to the main Orbi router... however only the sky q main box is wired to the satellite and a mini is wired to a switch which is wired to the Orbi router!

In my experience, "wired" means as far as the Orbi router is concerned, it came into the Orbi network "on a wire".  I have WiFi cameras that connect to an access point (not Orbi) which is connected to my Orbi using Powerline.  The Orbi reports them all as "wired".  Only devices that come into one of the Orbi products over WiFi are reported as "WiFi."

Message 6 of 7
Aronius
Tutor

Yes fair enough,

It’s just it never used to do this before 🤔 The wired sky products would show as wired and the one mini which isn’t wired would show on 2.4ghz. I guess it doesn’t really matter as it’s only now and again the sky boxes ‘flip out’ !

Maybe it’s because the sky mini communicates back to the Sky Q which is wired.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7