Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite Transmit/Operation

PaulCev
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite Transmit/Operation

I am sorry for this question.  However I am having a hard time finding current information.

Info:

House 3,000 SFT

ISP  ATT U-Verse Router/WiFi  Located in office upstairs

Netgear System Orbi Mini RBK22

Exisitng WiFi cover downstairs TV room and back bedroom - POOR

I know that I must turn off U-Verse WiFi and also set Orbi up as AP

However I am seeing conflicting information regarding the actual operation of the system and whether the satellites can communicate with each other unless hard wired.

So here are my questions:

1. If the Orbi is in "AP only" mode will it still communicate with the Satellites?

2. Do the satellites recieve a WiFi signal from the Orbi router, and do they transmit to each other and other WiFi devices? 

3. Or do the satellites recieve a WiFi signal from the Orbi router, and you only can hard wire (LAN) cable other devices to them?

4. Are the LAN connections on the back of the satellites only for non WiFI devices.

5. I have an ATT installed hard wire (LAN) router downstairs which ATT installed a very weak extender.

- If I put a satellite in place of the router will this work? OR

- Should I LAN connect a Satellite?

6. Should I opt for a 1 router and 2 satellite system due to the number of walls to get to the back of the house?

Thank you!!!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite Transmit/Operation

@PaulCev wrote:

I am sorry for this question.  However I am having a hard time finding current information.

Info:

House 3,000 SFT

ISP  ATT U-Verse Router/WiFi  Located in office upstairs

Netgear System Orbi Mini RBK22

Exisitng WiFi cover downstairs TV room and back bedroom - POOR

I know that I must turn off U-Verse WiFi and also set Orbi up as AP

However I am seeing conflicting information regarding the actual operation of the system and whether the satellites can communicate with each other unless hard wired.

So here are my questions:

1. If the Orbi is in "AP only" mode will it still communicate with the Satellites? YES

2. Do the satellites recieve a WiFi signal from the Orbi router, and do they transmit to each other and other WiFi devices?  YES

3. Or do the satellites recieve a WiFi signal from the Orbi router, and you only can hard wire (LAN) cable other devices to them?  No, wireless and wired will work. It'll function as a full AP working with both wired and wireless connections. 

4. Are the LAN connections on the back of the satellites only for non WiFI devices.  Not sure exactly what you're asking here. the ethernet ports act as regular ethernet ports. 

5. I have an ATT installed hard wire (LAN) router downstairs which ATT installed a very weak extender.

- If I put a satellite in place of the router will this work? OR

- Should I LAN connect a Satellite?   I'd just use the one router att provider and remove any others. the orbis do a great job of providing wireless and if you have another wireless device broadcasting, it only adds interference to the signal. 

6. Should I opt for a 1 router and 2 satellite system due to the number of walls to get to the back of the house?  Thats hard to tell without actually testing it. I prefer to over engineer (over network) versus under but it depends on what your goals/budget/desires are. 

Thank you!!!

Basically orbi works great. I have a 3200 sq ft house but I use an orbi and 2 satellites to make sure I have adequate coverage. I have to spread them out a bit as orbis need 30ft distance between them. You can use both the wireless backhaul and/or the wired backhaul for connecting the router and satellites. There's a bunch of possibilites with that setup. 

Message 2 of 4
PaulCev
Aspirant

Thank you.  I will probably go with one router and two satellites

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7