Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Verizon’s Fios and MoCA

IronAddict
Aspirant

Orbi Verizon’s Fios and MoCA

I just ordered the Orbi AC2200 to alleviate dead spots in my house. I currently have some devices connected using MoCA i.e. basement, and I’m curious to know if I can still utilize MoCA after I set up Orbi.
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
usahale
Star

Re: Orbi Verizon’s Fios and MoCA

Turn off the wireless in the Verizon router and set the Orbi to AP mode and ethernet cable connect the two. You lose some functionality in the Orbi but it prevents the double-NAT scenario, which can be troublesome. For instance the devices on the MoCA network won't be on the same network as the Orbi which means they probably can't talk to each other.

The Verizon router should still be configured to hand out the IP addresses. I have this setup currently and it works well (except for Homekit on the last iteration of auto-updates and Ring Doorbell). 

Go to dslreports.com and check out if your VZ router has a bridge mode or not. Bridge mode could allow the Orbi to perform all normal router functions (not be in AP mode). I'm still on an Actiontec MI424WR which doesn't support Bridge mode.

I will say that Orbi's wireless range is fantastic. I have great WiFi coverage in an almost 100 yo house and 100 ft range in the back yard.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

MoCA shouldn't be effecting by Orbi since MoCa is a Coax cable feature...

Message 2 of 10
usahale
Star

Turn off the wireless in the Verizon router and set the Orbi to AP mode and ethernet cable connect the two. You lose some functionality in the Orbi but it prevents the double-NAT scenario, which can be troublesome. For instance the devices on the MoCA network won't be on the same network as the Orbi which means they probably can't talk to each other.

The Verizon router should still be configured to hand out the IP addresses. I have this setup currently and it works well (except for Homekit on the last iteration of auto-updates and Ring Doorbell). 

Go to dslreports.com and check out if your VZ router has a bridge mode or not. Bridge mode could allow the Orbi to perform all normal router functions (not be in AP mode). I'm still on an Actiontec MI424WR which doesn't support Bridge mode.

I will say that Orbi's wireless range is fantastic. I have great WiFi coverage in an almost 100 yo house and 100 ft range in the back yard.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also use the DMZ on the VIOS modem if it can't be bridged if you want to use the Orbi router as a router.

Message 4 of 10
IronAddict
Aspirant

Ushale,

I set up Orbi as an AP as you described and everything works thanks! Following that, I looked up my router Greenwave FiOS-G1100 on dslreports.com and it doesn't look like it supports bridge mode 😒.

Some things I notced after set up:

- I can't login into admin page for Orbi (bummer because I liked it)

- Reduced speeds for devices connected to Orbi Satellites via ethernet (I'm constistently getting 20Mbps out of 100/100).

Message 5 of 10
IronAddict
Aspirant

Furrye38,

That sounds like an interesting set-up, care to share what you changed on your VZN router?

Message 6 of 10
usahale
Star

Definitely odd. You've got a better VZ router than me and I get consistent 50+MB out of my wireless connections. I don't have any wired to my Orbi Sat, though. Are the Sats wireless backhaul or wired? I'm wireless backhaul, 2 floors apart, so 20 ft with 2x10 floors (or plaster ceiling depending on your view) between the router/sat. Is the router ethernet connect to the yellow (Internet) port? And orbilogin not working, that's odd. Have you tried direct ip address to your Orbi router? You should be able to see the Orbi's address in the VZ router network map.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem can't be bridged, set up a IP address reservation on the modem/router for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem while the Orbi is in router mode.

Input this IP address into the modems DMZ. Since the Orbi router has a firewall as well, it's safe to use the DMZ on the modem. It's no different then having a stand alone modem with out a router built in. The Orbi router will handle the firewall issues on it's own.

Then you can use the Orbi router in router mode and it can be your main host router. DMZ will help in this double NAT condition.

I would also disable ALL wifi radios on the modem and uPnP.

Connect up all your devices to the orbi system.

Thats all.

@IronAddict wrote:

Furrye38,

That sounds like an interesting set-up, care to share what you changed on your VZN router?

Message 8 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Here are some helpful guides and KBs that will help you get you Verizon orbi system up and running.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059619/How-do-I-set-up-the-Orbi-system-that-I-purchased-directly-from-Veri...

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/orbi-install-guide.pdf

DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Here are some helpful guides and KBs that will help you get you Verizon orbi system up and running.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059619/How-do-I-set-up-the-Orbi-system-that-I-purchased-directly-from-Veri...

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/orbi-install-guide.pdf

DarrenM

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7