Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Wifi AX6000 - Dedicated connection to a particular satellite?

JeffAlbright
Follower

Orbi Wifi AX6000 - Dedicated connection to a particular satellite?

I have an AppleTV in a room with a satellite, yet, it's connected to the main router on the complete other side of the house. My question: Is there a way to dedicate a device to connect to a certain satellite within the ADMIN/Mesh system vs. it automatically selecting the router? If there isn't a way to dedicate it to that satellite, any suggestions on how to get it to link to the specific satellite which is right next to it?

Thank You.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Wifi AX6000 - Dedicated connection to a particular satellite?

No there isn't. Your device connects based off its own roaming protocol. 

Only way to ensure it connects to the one you want is to hardwire it in. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@JeffAlbright wrote:

If there isn't a way to dedicate it to that satellite, any suggestions on how to get it to link to the specific satellite which is right next to it?

Some users have reported success with having the device 'forget' the WiFi, then connect again.  During connection, devices seek the best signal and many of them do not expect to 'move around' and quick looking.  This may not be a permanent solution.  If the satellite WiFi disappears for any reason (power failure, getting unplugged to rearrange electronics, dog pulling the cord out of the wall, then the device will seek whatever WiFi it can find and may not switch back by  itself.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@JeffAlbright wrote:

I have an AppleTV in a room with a satellite, yet, it's connected to the main router on the complete other side of the house. My question: Is there a way to dedicate a device to connect to a certain satellite within the ADMIN/Mesh system vs. it automatically selecting the router? If there isn't a way to dedicate it to that satellite, any suggestions on how to get it to link to the specific satellite which is right next to it?

Thank You.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7