Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi appears to be corrupted by auto update, won't boot

PaulMoore
Tutor

Orbi appears to be corrupted by auto update, won't boot

Hi,

So, I have an Orbi Router that's worked fine since purchase in 12/16, but had a problem in the early morning of 5/4/17, and now crashes on boot. I can see the DHCP processes start to vend IPs on the LAN ports, but it crashes before it can start the WiFi process, with a blue then red ring light sequence.

Yes, I've done the factory default, with no change.

Is there a procedure to recover from a corrupted firmware load ?

Also, I have the situation where the S/N for my unit was registered, and then the unit was returned. So far, support appears incapable of dealing with this. though I've emailed by purchase receipt.

What's the most effective way to solve these 2 problems ?

Thanks,

Paul Moore

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi appears to be corrupted by auto update, won't boot

Hello PaulMoore

I would suggest to try and manually reload the firmware via a wired connection. If you can not log in via the gui you could try the tftp method.

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
PaulMoore
Tutor

Thanks for the process info, and I successfully used it to reload the latest and previous Orbi firmware via TFTP, but unfortunately it appears to not be a firmware issue, as the problem still occurs.

The Orbi boots, with the slow blink white LED, then goes solid white, solid green, flashes red, then off. The cycle then starts again. Sigh.

Message 3 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello PaulMoore

Id suggest contacting support if there may be a hardware failure they can help test this and RMA the unit if needed.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 4 of 8
PaulMoore
Tutor

contacted support, and no they can't help with it, as their script for the ring lights doesn't cover this sort of failure, and for $89.99 they would help me "fix the configuration" that's "causing the magenta ring light", which indicates "no internet configuration". We I asked her how we would get to the configuration web page, when the WiFi never comes up, and the page is only displayed via Ethernet for 20-30 seconds before the router crashes, she just stuck to the $89.99 charge to renew support.

I am done with NetGear.

The Orbi is a fantastic product and for the 6 months that it worked it was easy, seamless and give me perfect coverage across my house and yard, at full speed connectivity.

It's too bad that customer support is a joke.

Message 5 of 8

im pretty sure all you needed to say was i want an RMA number so i can return to place of purchase and get ether a replacement model or refund , of course they cant help with added support as thats the process but they should have passed you over to the rma department if you asked

Message 6 of 8
PaulMoore
Tutor

I assumed that also, but when I tried the support person said that we needed to attempt to "fix the configuration", as the magenta ring light indicates no internet connection, so her opinion was it was not HW. I tried unsuccessfully to ask her how we would do the configuration when the login page was only accessible for 20-30 seconds, but she held fast to doing that.

I almost did spend the $89 so she could refund it when the configuration fix didn't resolve the problem, but by this time I honestly had had it. I understand 90 day free support, but that should start the 1st time you call support for an issue.

Message 7 of 8

just ring back to support and have the level 1 escilate it and just get the supervisor to transfer you over to the rma dept

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7