Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi connected directly to FIOS ONT gets only 50% connection speed

Spiffywerks
Guide

Orbi connected directly to FIOS ONT gets only 50% connection speed

I have an ARRIS NVG468MQ quantum gateway from Frontier FIOS with 150/150 Mbps service using the ethernet port from the ONT.

I have tried the following setups and found that if I plug the ORBI directly into the ONT, I can only get about half my service speed. Connecting with a computer directly gets the full speed, so I'm not understanding why I couldn't use the Orbi.

ONT > ARRIS > Computer = 150/150

ONT > Computer = 150/150

ONT > ARRIS > ORBI (as AP) > Computer (Wifi or Ethernet) = 150/150

ONT > ORBI (as Router) > Computer = ~80/100 ????

So why would my connection speed using the ORBI connected to the ONT via Ethernet get only ~80/100 Mbps, but a single computer or the Frontier ARRIS router gets 150/150?

The ARRIS was working fine until about a week ago, and now I've gone through 2 replacements and they keep dropping the connection to the ONT. If you take the connection and plug it into the ORBI or computer it works just fine, just the ARRIS won't connect to the internet. I want to get rid of the ARRIS router, is it possible?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Spiffywerks
Guide

Re: Orbi connected directly to FIOS ONT gets only 50% connection speed

Turns out it was a cable issue. The cable running from my ONT up to my attic was the problem. I ended up just putting the router in the garage near the ONT and the speed is now 150/150 everywhere in the house. Very happy with it now!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

1. Does your Internet connection require any authentication?
  2. Try using the MAC address of the Ariss router in Orbi internet settings, you can find this seetting in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Settings >> Router MAC Address
Message 2 of 5
Spiffywerks
Guide

The Internet connection does not require authentication.  That's why the connection works when just simply taking the cable running from the ONT and plugging it into a computer. Doing this I get the full 150/150 bandwidth.

I set the MAC address to the one from the ARRIS, for 5 minutes the connection speed shot up to 150/120, but a little while later, dropped back to 80/100.

I think the next thing I'll try is putting the router right next to the ONT and check with a different cable. Currently, there is about a 70 ft CAT5-e cable running between my garage and the Router.

Message 3 of 5
Spiffywerks
Guide

Turns out it was a cable issue. The cable running from my ONT up to my attic was the problem. I ended up just putting the router in the garage near the ONT and the speed is now 150/150 everywhere in the house. Very happy with it now!
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was an easy fix. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Spiffywerks wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7