Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi drops Internet Connection 10 to 30 times a day

jwwilson45
Aspirant

Orbi drops Internet Connection 10 to 30 times a day

Just moved to Tennessee the end of August and part of the move was leaving Frontier fiber for a Spectrum cable modem.  I had no issues when on the Frontier fiber.

I have an Arris TM-1602 modem from Spectrum. This is the third modem I have replaced after I realized what was going on and started scratching off the layers of paint and really looking at the dropped connections.  The first two modems were an Ubee(?) modem.  I have had numerous phones calls with the Spectrum tech support thinking this was a modem issue.  

I am in a one story house with a basement (1600 sq ft upstairs and 1300 down).  The Orbi router in the basement on a shelf next to the modem.  The satellite is upstairs 30 ish feet from the router with only a wood floor between them.  Both are running firmware V2.7.0.70.

After some searching on the Internet I see this issue goes back many, many years.  At the suggestion of the Tech at Spectrum I connected my laptop directly to the Spetrum modem, got an IP assignment and was able to access the Internet.  I installed a Chrome extension called Internet Connection Monitor.  I left it all running for 24 hours and had no drops.  Shut everything down and reconnected the Orbi and the drops started back.  Hmm betcha its the Orbi.

I am outside the Netgear Support window so I cannot get help from them without paying them (not they have ever been helpful*).

So, do I beat a dead horse or cut my losses and buy a different mesh system?

With COVID we have been working from home, teaching school at home and dealing with getting booted off the Internet 10 or 20 times a day.  Everytime the Internet drops it drops all the VPN connections.

John

*When I first bought the Orbi I tried to do a wired back haul and even with their tech support looking at it I never got it to work.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi drops Internet Connection 10 to 30 times a day

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Have the ISP ensure the modem is provisioned well,
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

If this was working well before you changed ISP, then you need to keep in contact with the ISP. 

Orbi:
Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 3
jwwilson45
Aspirant

Re: Orbi drops Internet Connection 10 to 30 times a day

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Have the ISP ensure the modem is provisioned well, 

Done and everything is good.  

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box.   No splitters, direct to the coax coming in the house.  Signal level and the SNR is within spec.

Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. Yes

Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.  About 50 times or more.

If this was working well before you changed ISP, then you need to keep in contact with the ISP.   

The problem goes away when I connect a computer directly to the modem.  It does not drop the connection.  Only when the Orbi is connected to the modem.  

Orbi:
Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?   Yes
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?   Yes

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7