Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi keeps disconnecting and using different ip to devices (RBR40)

otaku
Tutor

Orbi keeps disconnecting and using different ip to devices (RBR40)

I bought Orbi with full confidential that it'll replace my old Linksys EA6500 which was getting old and unstable.

Unfortunatly, my Orbi worked fine for two days, afterthat I keep getting "No internet connection" from random devices connected to my Orbi very often.

I selected the range to be within: 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 when i face the issue, I check my ip address assigned from router I find it as: 192.168.0.x

why would it go to the 0 range while i assign it to be within that?

So what I did, I forced each device to have it's own IP address. But this is tiring, I want my Orbi to work as 2018 routers (not 90s)

My orbi is up-to-date.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
otaku
Tutor

Re: Orbi keeps disconnecting and using different ip to devices (RBR40)

@ekhalil wrote:

@otaku wrote:

I selected the range to be within: 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 when i face the issue, I check my ip address assigned from router I find it as: 192.168.0.x

The 192.168.0.x can't be coming from Orbi if you have the DHCP range set to something else. It looks like your ISP modem is also acting as a router, please check that. If you don't have access to the ISP router, please set the Orbi in AP mode and see if all your devices will get 192.168.0.x addresses.

Good luck!

ISP modem is not router, it's just like modem to convert FOC cable to LAN. I'm connecting Orbi directly from there.

But I have also wifi repeater (TP-Link), not sure if that info might help.

I cannot set Orbi as AP as the modem cannot be configred and only by router with PPPoE login.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@otaku wrote:

The 192.168.0.x can't be coming from Orbi if you have the DHCP range set to something else. It looks like your ISP modem is also acting as a router, please check that. If you don't have access to the ISP router, please set the Orbi in AP mode and see if all your devices will get 192.168.0.x addresses.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@otaku wrote:

I bought Orbi with full confidential that it'll replace my old Linksys EA6500 which was getting old and unstable.

Unfortunatly, my Orbi worked fine for two days, afterthat I keep getting "No internet connection" from random devices connected to my Orbi very often.

So what I did, I forced each device to have it's own IP address. But this is tiring, I want my Orbi to work as 2018 routers (not 90s)

My orbi is up-to-date.

Message 3 of 8
otaku
Tutor

@ekhalil wrote:

@otaku wrote:

Good luck!

ISP modem is not router, it's just like modem to convert FOC cable to LAN. I'm connecting Orbi directly from there.

But I have also wifi repeater (TP-Link), not sure if that info might help.

I cannot set Orbi as AP as the modem cannot be configred and only by router with PPPoE login.

Message 4 of 8
otaku
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@otaku wrote:

My orbi is up-to-date.

I'm using my own router, ISP doesnt provide any, PPPoE is configured in the roater (Orbi)

I tried setting Orbi as AP and I lost all connections and no internet access. then I set it back to router mode.All my device connected back healthy except my PC (connected through wifi), I got connected but no internet I had to disable wifi and reconnect again.

Message 5 of 8
otaku
Tutor

here attached a sample of IP address to my devices

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

SO what Mfr and model # router are you using in between the ISP modem and Orib? 

Have you tried the Orbin in router mode behind the ISP modem? 

Have you set up a IP address reservation ON the host router for the Orbi on is WAN port? 

IF the Orbi in is AP mode then all IP handling is done at the host router and shouldn't loose connection. 

I would change the IP address of the host router to be 192.168.1. 100 thru .200. 

The orbi in AP mode will get an IP address from this pool and pass all IP traffic thru to connected devices...

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@otaku wrote:

.......But I have also wifi repeater (TP-Link), not sure if that info might help.

It has to be your TP-Link repeater. I saw a very similar issue.

When I had disconnection issues in my Orbi then I noticed when my devices loose wifi connection to Orbi and at the same time also my D-Link repeater looses wifi connection with Orbi, then my devices will start getting IP addresses from the D-Link repeater's default IP address range.

To solve this issue you need to find the cause of the wifi disconnection issues (or internet disconnection issues).

I think that the majority of current Orbi issues can be solved by disconneting wired devices as it seems that this is -currently- an area of weekness in Orbi's software 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7