Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi satellite and genie app

Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Orbi satellite and genie app

In the genie app sometimes I can see the satellite and sometimes I can't. Right now I'm sure I'm on the sat but the genie app just shows I have port wifi to the router? How can u tell which unit your connected too? How can't u see the quality of bandwidth your receiving? I must admit this is far superior to any system I have used but, I sure would like to understand why I have to use the genie app, orbi login, and orbi app just to try and figure everything out.
Message 1 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

I use the web app to see the satellites and their connected devices.  It also shows whether 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection.  Go to http://orbilogin.com and Basic...Attached Devices.

The release notes for the new 1.4.0.34 firmware mention something about Genie so maybe it works better (I don't use it myself).

Message 2 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

What am I missing? I go to where u stated and it only shows me my router no satellite. Do I need to turn a setting on? It does show all my devices. Can u take a screen shot?
Message 3 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

Here's what I see.  Though my view may be different from earlier using http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm to enable the more detailed list.  Sorry, I forget what this option was, heard something about it dropped from later firmware versions but still affecting users who had enabled it.

Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 27
Mikey94025
Hero

The satellites should also be listed in the Administration...Firmware Update list.

Capture2.JPG

Message 5 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Mine doesn't have the connection type column. Are u sayinf u had to enable that? But now I can't?
Message 6 of 27
loomis1975
Luminary

Thats right.  You can't see that screen anymore unless you enabled it on a debug.htm page from mulitple firmwares back.  Its no longer an option.  I had that view till I had to do a factory reset to correct some erratic behavior.  Once you factory reset on a more recent firmware, there is really no going back.

Message 7 of 27
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

You can still get to the screen, but for the connection type only shows orbi, wired, or wireless.  Doesn't show band any more.  Try this:

Click on any device name to open Edit Device page

Click in device name box

Press the <enter> key on your computer

Message 8 of 27
rhester72
Virtuoso

@loomis1975 wrote:

Thats right.  You can't see that screen anymore unless you enabled it on a debug.htm page from mulitple firmwares back.  Its no longer an option.  I had that view till I had to do a factory reset to correct some erratic behavior.  Once you factory reset on a more recent firmware, there is really no going back.

I posted a very probable workaround for this months ago involving telnetting into the router and setting an environment variable, but to the best of my knowledge nobody tried.  *shrugs*

Rodney

Message 9 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

I was gonna try your solution but u said advanced users which I am not. So scared me off.
Message 10 of 27
rhester72
Virtuoso

@Rustproofcorn wrote:
I was gonna try your solution but u said advanced users which I am not. So scared me off.

I may have over-sold the complexity.  If you know how to telnet, and type the exact commands I indicated, you'll be fine.

For folks that aren't comfortable leaving a browser, it may be a bit much, but downloading a telnet client and checking off a debug box followed by typing two commands isn't terribly taxing, I think.  😃  At worst, everyone knows their resident/local computer geek, right?  🙂

Rodney

Message 11 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Thanks man!!! It did work like a gem!!! I now can see what's connected ant where with what band it's on. We all are morons.
Message 12 of 27
rhester72
Virtuoso

Very glad to hear it worked!  Here's hoping someday it'll be (re)exposed through the normal UI.

Rodney

Message 13 of 27
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Wow.  I braved it and found a nice article for us Windows 7 users on how to add the Telnet client to Windows and then use it at: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-telnet-into-a-router.

Pretty simple then to follow your directions.

Thanks

Message 14 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

I installed iterminal on my iPad and did it. Literally the whole process took 5 minutes.
Message 15 of 27
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Having never heard of Telnet, it took me quite a bit longer, most of it searching for a simple how-to for Windows.

Message 16 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Did u get it tho?
Message 17 of 27
thedak
Apprentice

Can you repost the commands that you use once you have telnet'ed in to enable this?

Thanks!

Message 18 of 27
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

- Go to the debug page and enable telnet
- Telnet into the router
- Execute the following:

nvram set enable_adv_attached=1
nvram commit
- Exit telnet
- Go to the debug page and disable telnet (please don't forget this step!)
Message 19 of 27
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

I'm a Windows 7 user.  See this article on how to add the Telnet client to Windows 7 Features:  https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-telnet-into-a-router

Then it is pretty straight forward.

Click on the "Start Globe", type "cmd" in the search box at the bottom of the Start menu and press "Enter" to open a Command Prompt window.   Type the following ( My router IP address is 192.168.1.1--Use your router address if it is different):

telnet 192.168.1.1

nvram set enable_adv_attached=1

nvram commit

exit

Message 20 of 27
swrtwdrv
Apprentice

Check box Enable Telnet in router at http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm before starting and uncheck box when finished.

Message 21 of 27
thedak
Apprentice

works like a charm, thanks!  (don't know why this isn't default or why it was removed from debug.htm....)

Message 22 of 27
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Used your telnet "hack" and it worked brilliantly! My big question is: How do I reverse the this? Do I simply replace your telnet command with nvram set enable_adv_attached=0  ?

Message 23 of 27
rhester72
Virtuoso

@tucsontico wrote:

Used your telnet "hack" and it worked brilliantly! My big question is: How do I reverse the this? Do I simply replace your telnet command with nvram set enable_adv_attached=0  ?

Yes.

Rodney

Message 24 of 27
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Got it! Thanks!

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 5 kudos