Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi support for TP-Link wired Access point?

essentR
Follower

Orbi support for TP-Link wired Access point?

I"m looking at RBR50 (not RBK50).

Trying to decide on Orbi mesh system to upgrade. I need a system that will allow me to use a wired access point for a guest house.

The system would be (all via wired ethernet) cable modem to orbi wireless router to netgear ethernet switch to TP-LInk Access point to provide wireless internet in a guest house.

Would the TPlink AP work in this system? 

In general i'm looking for a system with better wireless internet thorugh the main house as well as wired ethernet for the computers. My house is wired for internet via the netgear ethernet switch. I just need wireles for phones and increased location flexibility to laptops. I use the wired connections for the computers in the offices and FR tv.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi support for TP-Link wired Access point?

You should be able to hook up the AP to the orbi but you will create a separate wireless network.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
Slosh104
Aspirant

One issue that you might have is that most TP Link products can only run on 2.4GHz. The Orbi might put it on the 5GHz and while it will integrate with Orbi, you might not be able to add The TP Link as a skill on Alexa.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi systems comes with Guest Network features already.

You can add addtional APs however those would need to be on different channels far from the channels that the Orbi uses. This would cause problematic issues in wireless as well if not set up correctly.

@essentR wrote:

I"m looking at RBR50 (not RBK50).

Trying to decide on Orbi mesh system to upgrade. I need a system that will allow me to use a wired access point for a guest house.

The system would be (all via wired ethernet) cable modem to orbi wireless router to netgear ethernet switch to TP-LInk Access point to provide wireless internet in a guest house.

Would the TPlink AP work in this system? 

In general i'm looking for a system with better wireless internet thorugh the main house as well as wired ethernet for the computers. My house is wired for internet via the netgear ethernet switch. I just need wireles for phones and increased location flexibility to laptops. I use the wired connections for the computers in the offices and FR tv.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7