Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi w/ AT&T Fiber

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi w/ AT&T Fiber

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@ajb313 wrote:

thank you so much for your insight here.  I have an Arris BGW210 AT&T Fiber gateway and I am trying to use my Orbi RBR40 router with 2 RBS40 sats.  I am a SUPER novice with anything related to networking, but if I plug the Orbi router directly into Ethernet port 1, what would be my next steps to use the Orbi Router and satellites to establish the mesh network?  It sounds like this is your exact setup and you have it working flawlessly.  

Thanks for any insight you can give this rookie.

Message 26 of 61
bvg820
Aspirant

I have the same setup. Will you be so kind as to let me know what you did to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Message 27 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? 

If so, Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@bvg820 wrote:

I have the same setup. Will you be so kind as to let me know what you did to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Message 28 of 61
viperxln1
Aspirant

I have an Orbi as well but trying to get it to work with BGW210-700. Can you walk me through by specifying a gateway with IP Passthrough? 

Thanks

Message 29 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Strict-NAT-Bridge-Mode-What-is-IP-Passthrough-Can-...

Try AP mode on the Orbi if IP Passthru doesn't work well for you. 

@viperxln1 wrote:

I have an Orbi as well but trying to get it to work with BGW210-700. Can you walk me through by specifying a gateway with IP Passthrough? 

Thanks

Message 30 of 61
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@viperxln1 

Once you have BGW210 setup, the Orbi needs some attention as well. My recommendation is to fully factory reset the Orbi, then use a wired connected PC to access the console via browser and when going through the setup procedure, you’ll see a notification the LAN subnet was moved from 192.168.1.x to 10.0.0.x to avoid conflict with the BGW210.  This is a crucial step. 

I have the setup here if you need more help. 

Message 31 of 61
Amitctr
Tutor

What settings did you use with your gateway? I have the same model but can’t get it configured correctly.
Message 32 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

@gr8sho 

@Amitctr wrote:
What settings did you use with your gateway? I have the same model but can’t get it configured correctly.

Message 33 of 61
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hi, I’ve been out of town and don’t have access to a gateway but I will find a write up and pic to share.
I’m seeing many people taking this route and most have succeeded.
Also of note, the BGW210 received a new firmware update recently so it’s best to factory reset it before proceeding. Check to ensure 1.9.16 is applied.
Message 34 of 61
Amitctr
Tutor

So after the firmware update I tried going back to the basics with my BGW210 and Orbi, which has seemed to work so far. 

Can someone tell me if there is anything wrong with this setup:

All I changed on the ATT BGW210 gateway was turning both wifi channels off. I then turned the Orbi into AP mode. Nothing else. 

Seems too simple, am I missing something?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 61
gr8sho
Virtuoso

That’s fine.

What you’re missing is using the Orbi in router mode. I assumed the help requested was to configure the gateway in IP passthrough, which would then allow the Orbi to essentially operate independently from the gateway in router mode. If that’s not important or a priority, you’re all set.
Message 36 of 61
Amitctr
Tutor

Thanks for all the help g8sho,

Initially I was looking to use my Orbi as a router, but after days with issues, I gave up and will just use it as an access point. 
Is there any benefit to using Orbi as the router?

Message 37 of 61
Tutor

AT&T with the Arris BGW210-700.

I just turned off all the radios on the Arris and then set the Orbi to AP mode, but lost the ability to kick devices off WiFi in the Orbi app.  Would setting the Orbi back to router mode and using IP pass through on the Arris give me those capabilities back?

What are the downsides to using IP pass through?

<-----knows very little about networking and wants a low maintenance solution. 

Message 38 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

yes, Set IP Pass Thru on the modem and set back to router mode. 

@5111 wrote:

AT&T with the Arris BGW210-700.

I just turned off all the radios on the Arris and then set the Orbi to AP mode, but lost the ability to kick devices off WiFi in the Orbi app.  Would setting the Orbi back to router mode and using IP pass through on the Arris give me those capabilities back?

What are the downsides to using IP pass through?

<-----knows very little about networking and wants a low maintenance solution. 

Message 39 of 61
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Thanks

If I set the Arris to IP Pass Thru, can I plug anything into the Ethernet ports on the modem other than the Orbi? What about the AT&T equipment (TV box, gateway, etc)?

Message 40 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I recommend keeping any ISP  serivce related devices connected to the modem, and connect everything else to the Orbi. 

@5111 wrote:

@FURRYe38 Thanks

If I set the Arris to IP Pass Thru, can I plug anything into the Ethernet ports on the modem other than the Orbi? What about the AT&T equipment (TV box, gateway, etc)?

Message 41 of 61
Tutor

Thank you so much @FURRYe38 

To clarify,

Fiirst I need to set the Orbi back to router mode.

Then I log into the Arris and select Firewall, and select IP Passthrough.

I select DHCPS-fixed and enter the MAC address to the Orbi router. I save and restart everything and should be good to go then.

Correct?

Message 42 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. I would first set a IP Address reservation ON the modem for the Orbi RBR. So the IP address doesn't change. Then follow up with the IP Pass-Thru process. After you get the Pass-Thru setup, I would reboot both modem and RBR. Then you should be up and running and good to go. 

Message 43 of 61
Tutor

Do I need to put anything in the Passthrough DHCP Lease box or leave it at 10 minutes?

Message 44 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

If it has a max value or higher value try it. If something fails, put it back to default. 

Message 45 of 61
Tutor

@FURRYe38 

In the end I had to give it a lot longer for the router and modem to reboot and settle down, but I got it done thanks to your advice.  Thank you so much. Has been working like a champ all day. 

Message 46 of 61
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@5111 wrote:

Sounds like you also have Uverse TV.  ideally all traffic would be handled through the Orbi router but unfortunately multicast support is broken in the latest firmware, so need to use Ethernet on the gateway for the set-top boxes, including their WAP if you're using wireless.   

Message 47 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now. I would make a backup configuration to file of the RBR for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@5111 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

In the end I had to give it a lot longer for the router and modem to reboot and settle down, but I got it done thanks to your advice.  Thank you so much. Has been working like a champ all day. 

Message 48 of 61
BigMacTM
Aspirant

Hi all. Resurfacing an old topic here. I currently have Spectrum 200mbps with a Netgear CM500 modem and Orbi RBR50 mesh router. I’m researching and very tempted to switch to AT&T Fiber 1000mbps due to speed and similar cost.

For those that have AT&T Fiber - is it worth it? It sounds like you have to use the AT&T provided modem? Then in order to use your Orbi router you must setup the IP Pass-Thru and set Orbi to Router Mode? I’m a novice at networking so how difficult is this?

Another question. I’m looking into using MoCA adapters to allow for Ethernet connections in other rooms in my home. Would this still be doable if I switch to AT&T Fiber?

Thanks in advance.
Message 49 of 61
Amitctr
Tutor

I actually upgraded from spectrum 200mbps to att 1000 recently. I’m happy I did. It works the same with the Orbi, and the Orbi really helps sustain both download and upload speeds. My initial problems with the Orbi are fine with the settings you mentioned. I’m not familiar with moca adapters so can’t speculate on that. You may find you don’t even need Ethernet connections though with the speeds att gives.
Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7