Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi

stown71
Aspirant

Orbi

I am having trouble with loosing bandwidth. My service provider is telling me the issue is from the orbi setup. He led me to look at the channel bands and said we are not using the best channel, but I have no idea how to fix or test or change this. netgear want nothing to do with it. Currently pay for 5mg upload and get 2-3 on speed test.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Be sure to test speeds with a wired PC connected to the RBR for accurate speed results.

Message 2 of 4
stown71
Aspirant

how do I know what firmware is there?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? I use Utah Broadband. I called them and they determined signal to house is uninterupted.

I confirmed signal coming intot he house is as it should be, but when it comes thorughthe Orbi I loose about 50% of both upload and download.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

I don't know. How do I tell?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I believe the distances are good. The two satelites are on the main floor, and the rbr is in the basement where the wires come in. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I did the diagnostics on my computer and it says I am using current channel count 3, best 2.4 = 11, best 5 is 144, but I have no idea how to change this / test this.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

There are about 7 with decent signal, another 7 with almost no signal

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

I have no idea how to do this.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Sorry - no idea what this is either...

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a friend, nieghbor or family member who can help you with this? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7