Reply
Highlighted

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Confirmed, that solution fixed the wired backhaul issue for me as well. It would be really nice if Netgear would either allow me to disable auto updates (like this one that left my family without network while I was on a trip) or push working firmware updates. Either one... I prefer actually a combination where I can choose to update to a working firmware when I am around.

 

Side note... having a link in the support page associated with the recent formware update that "shows how to disable auto update" for a different model or version of the firmware also doesn't help. Would be good to obsolete that article, or make the connection more explicit.

 

Thanks for the advice,

Sven

Message 26 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Did you try blocking port 443 and 20-21 to the IP address of the router?


@sventhegrinch wrote:

Confirmed, that solution fixed the wired backhaul issue for me as well. It would be really nice if Netgear would either allow me to disable auto updates (like this one that left my family without network while I was on a trip) or push working firmware updates. Either one... I prefer actually a combination where I can choose to update to a working firmware when I am around.

 

Side note... having a link in the support page associated with the recent formware update that "shows how to disable auto update" for a different model or version of the firmware also doesn't help. Would be good to obsolete that article, or make the connection more explicit.

 

Thanks for the advice,

Sven


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 27 of 39
Highlighted

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Thanks, the suggestion to disable the daisy chain made the wired backhaul work. So did of course not using wired backhaul and instead falling back to wireless (which I didn't want long term).

 

In what way would an open port on 443 and/or 20-21 be needed? And if so, why is that something that an end user would have to know/do, backhaul configuration should (IMHO) be something that works without user intervention. Not sure I see a place where backhaul internals are exposed... or are you saying that regular wireless connectivity is affected/affecting backhaul?

 

Thanks,

Sven

Message 28 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Blocking ports, not opening. Seems the others have said the blocking these ports directed to the routers IP address seems to stop the auto update.


@sventhegrinch wrote:

Thanks, the suggestion to disable the daisy chain made the wired backhaul work. So did of course not using wired backhaul and instead falling back to wireless (which I didn't want long term).

 

In what way would an open port on 443 and/or 20-21 be needed? And if so, why is that something that an end user would have to know/do, backhaul configuration should (IMHO) be something that works without user intervention. Not sure I see a place where backhaul internals are exposed... or are you saying that regular wireless connectivity is affected/affecting backhaul?

 

Thanks,

Sven


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 29 of 39
Highlighted

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Ah... that was for auto update... sorry, didn't get that :-). Didn't read the full thread. Thanks for the suggestions, that feels too hacky for me, but I can see how that might help. This is more a "hey Netgear... please improve the user experience!" :-).

Message 30 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Is a suggestion only.

 

Good luck.


@sventhegrinch wrote:

Ah... that was for auto update... sorry, didn't get that :-). Didn't read the full thread. Thanks for the suggestions, that feels too hacky for me, but I can see how that might help. This is more a "hey Netgear... please improve the user experience!" :-).


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 31 of 39
Highlighted
Guide

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Rather than disabling daisy chaining entirely, I went in to the wired backhaul satellite and enabled STP (spanning tree protocol). You can search my other post for instructions. This has stabilized my network for now until Netgear puts out a fix. I do wonder if STP is one of the internal settings that gets changed when daisy chaining is toggled on and off. The only problem with STP is that it is not persistent - in other words, if the satellite loses power the. STP gets reset. 

Message 32 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Daisy chain is only needed if two or more Satellites are in used and if the user has them placed in a chain so they are able to use the daisy chain feature. So if theres only one satellite, Dasiy Chain isn't really needed as is easier to juts disable the check mark and save settings for the average home user.


@Zdman wrote:

Rather than disabling daisy chaining entirely, I went in to the wired backhaul satellite and enabled STP (spanning tree protocol). You can search my other post for instructions. This has stabilized my network for now until Netgear puts out a fix. I do wonder if STP is one of the internal settings that gets changed when daisy chaining is toggled on and off. The only problem with STP is that it is not persistent - in other words, if the satellite loses power the. STP gets reset. 




 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 33 of 39
Highlighted

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

 

 

This is just a post to confirm that I was able to get the backhaul to work so far.  It has been up for about 5 hours no with no issues.  I can also confirm that you first need to make sure the satellite is connected to the wireless backhaul first and then you can connect to the ethernet backhaul.  If you just plug in the ethernet connection and turn on the satellite it will lock up your whole network.  I did this and I had to reboot the RBR50 and all the BRS40s and unplug the satellites I had setup with the ethernet backhaul.  Basically my steps to get this working were this:

 

Step 1 Turn off router and satellites

Step 2 Turn on router and wait for full boot up

Step 3 turn on satellites and wait for them to show connected to the 5G wireless backhaul

Step 4 plug each satellite in one by one.  Wait for them to show using the ethernet backhaul and then plug the next one in

 

One troublesome satellite is too far to get a wireless connection so I had to run an extension cord and long ethernet cord so I could put the device in the hallway to get a solid wireless backhaul connection.  Unfortunately I now have a lot of cable tucked away in the far off office room BUT the ethernet backhaul now gives me wireless access in that room.  Hopefully in a future update you can just have the Ethernet plugged in and turn it on and it will select ethernet backhaul.  

 

I have a total of three satellites using the ethernet backhaul.

 

 

Message 34 of 39
Aspirant

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Same issue here.  Firmware update broke the Ethernet back haul (again ! seriously they just fixed this).  I switched to Wireless back haul and everything came back up.  Netgear, please update firmware with a fix for this ASAP. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 35 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

try a full reboot of the orbi system or factory reset the router and satellite. Re-add the satellite wireless first, then wired. Wait 5 minutes for the top led to turn on BLUE. 


@ChewyWest wrote:

Same issue here.  Firmware update broke the Ethernet back haul (again ! seriously they just fixed this).  I switched to Wireless back haul and everything came back up.  Netgear, please update firmware with a fix for this ASAP. 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 36 of 39
Highlighted
Guide

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Short answer: Download frimware 2.1.4.16

 

I upgraded to firmware 2.1.4.16 and it SEEMS to have resolved the issue with Ethernet backhaul.  The firmware release notes (https://kb.netgear.com/000059432/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-4-16) also indicated, "Fixes the Ethernet backhaul boot-sequence issue".  I tested it three times.  First time, I just help my breath, installed 2.1.4.16 without touching anything and about five to ten minutes after the firmware downloaded, local network and internet access worked fine with Ethernet backhaul.  Second and third times, I just powered down the Orbi and single satellite.  Powered up main and then the satellite.  Did NOT push synch button(s).  Took about 5-10 minutes, but eventually all good.

 

Couple notes:

- You have to be patient

- You'll see about three or four minutes of the main and satellite blinking white

- The satellite will initially light up pink (magenta), but don't panic, wait another minute or two and it will light up blue

- If you log-in to the Orbi admin page, it might take a couple more minutes before the satellite even shows up and maybe another minute before the staus shows as a "Wired" connection

 

Anyway, I'd go ahead and try loading 2.1.4.16.  Good luck.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 37 of 39
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

I updated my firmware to 2.2.1.210 today and it solved the ethernet back haul taking the internet connection down and eliminated a couple of other oddities that I was experiencing.

View solution in original post

Message 38 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.4.10 kills Internet access if you use Ethernet back haul

Glad it's working better for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink


@hubers00 wrote:

I updated my firmware to 2.2.1.210 today and it solved the ethernet back haul taking the internet connection down and eliminated a couple of other oddities that I was experiencing.


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 7288 views
  • 19 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements