Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems connecting RBS50Y

IanPhillips
Aspirant

Problems connecting RBS50Y

I am trying to install an RBS50Y Outdoor Orbi as a satellite to my house system.

I successfully set up the RBS50Y - connected to my base station (an RBR40) no problem (Installed as an "Add-on Satellite" 

I installed the new RBS50Y in my garage and powered it on.  After booting the light shows solid blue suggesting the device is connected to my network.  Whilst in the garage I am able to see the RBS50Y on my phones wifi list, and can connect OK - but there is no internet connection.

I checked on my Orbi app - the RBS50Y shows up - indicating there is some connection as it would not be there if powered off - but is not "connected".

I logged onto the router via http://orbilogin.com - and the RBS50Y shows as disconnected.  Daisy chain is enabled.

I have three other satellites on my Orbi network - two RBS40's and an RBS20 - all working well.

The RBS20 is indoors and is the closest device to the RBS50Y in my garage (distance around 10 meters / 30ft).

Any suggestions on what might be wrong here - and how I might be able to use my RBS50Y for teh outside wifi it wa smeant to provide

Any and all ideas much appreciated.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
IanPhillips
Aspirant

Re: Problems connecting RBS50Y

Thanks for your suggestions

Tried all of this and got nowhere

Eventually had to go through the pain of a factory reset on my entire system  and eventually figured out that the RBS50Y had switched into "range extender" mode rather than default Orbi mode - doing thsi requires some serious effort and I dont think I did it . but hey ho.

Sytem now rebuilt and RBS50Y working OK - although the distance to my garage (plus a couple of solid walls) makes the backhaul connection "poor" on a 2.4GH connection.

Appreciate your suggestions

View solution in original post

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the RBR and RBSY?

Can you access the RBSYs web page with a PC and web browser? 

YOu might turn OFF the other RBS and power cycle the RBSY and see if it gets connected and appears as connected in the RBRs web page.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 5
IanPhillips
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestions

Tried all of this and got nowhere

Eventually had to go through the pain of a factory reset on my entire system  and eventually figured out that the RBS50Y had switched into "range extender" mode rather than default Orbi mode - doing thsi requires some serious effort and I dont think I did it . but hey ho.

Sytem now rebuilt and RBS50Y working OK - although the distance to my garage (plus a couple of solid walls) makes the backhaul connection "poor" on a 2.4GH connection.

Appreciate your suggestions

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Yes the RBSY works in two different modes. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@IanPhillips wrote:

Might try moving the RBS20 and RBS50Y around a bit. WiFi is really sensitive to obstacles in the direct pathway.  I had a "dead spot" that turned out to be because of a brick chimney going up the middle of the house that was casting a huge WiFi "shadow".

Does the Attached Devices display show the satellite connected to the router or to the RBS20?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7