Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Purple Ring won’t go away

CMcG36
Aspirant

Purple Ring won’t go away

Magically 2 weeks after my warranty period my Orbi (RBR50) won’t connect to the internet. I’ve tried rebooting it and resetting it to the factory settings - no change. It’s not my service provider, I can plug my laptop into my modem and it works fine. Is there any way to fix this? How much does phone support cost if I choose to call?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Purple Ring won’t go away

After the 90 day support ends, Netgear has a support plan called Gearhead https://gearhead.netgear.com/

I have no idea what it costs or if it is "worth it."

You have done the first troubleshooting step: i.e. see if a computer works when plugged into the modem.

The next step is probably to connect the laptop to one of the Orbi LAN ports and access the web interface.

Is the Orbi in router or Access Point (AP) mode?

What is the brand and model of internet modem?

Is the internet modem in "modem only" or in "modem/router" mode?

Message 2 of 6
CMcG36
Aspirant

Orbi: Router mode; Firmware: V2.3.1.60

Modem: Netgear CM700. Couldn’t find anywhere to change or identify the ‘mode’ it’s operating in. It does have the latest firmware according to the netgear website.
Message 3 of 6
CMcG36
Aspirant

The only thing strange I’ve found is that when I use the app to look at my network info it’s got a different version of firmware than when I log into it from my computer. V2.3.5.30 from the computer and V2.3.1.60 from the app.
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

I trust the web interface more than the app. The Netgear CM700 is an ordinary modem.  No router. No WiFi.

When we run out of ideas, the next step is to do a "factory reset" on the Orbi.  It is a tedious process, because all of the device reservations have to be entered again.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the ISP modem and Orbi RBR for 1 minute, then power on the ISP modem and let it sync, then power on the RBR? You might factory reset the RBR while the ISP modem is coming back online and walk thru the setup wizard. See if the top LED turn off after it's setup. 

Swap LAN cables between the ISP modem and RBR to check. 

You might do a FW update to v30 as well as a last resort. 

@CMcG36 wrote:
Magically 2 weeks after my warranty period my Orbi (RBR50) won’t connect to the internet. I’ve tried rebooting it and resetting it to the factory settings - no change. It’s not my service provider, I can plug my laptop into my modem and it works fine. Is there any way to fix this? How much does phone support cost if I choose to call?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7