Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK 40 Internet speed issue

Dway
Aspirant

RBK 40 Internet speed issue

Hello;

With my ISP, I am provisioned for 200 mbps service. This seems to be what is coming into the home and is available on the smart app when I do a speed test and with devices wirelessly attached to the satellite units (all test at >200 mbps). Devices wirelessly attached to the orbi router (TV or laptop) are getting much less. Streaming on the TV halts, stops or pixilates. On the laptop connected to the orbi router, the speed tests produce results of about 40 mbps. I am trying to confirm a settings issue or some variability with the signal coming into our home. Thanks, David

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK 40 Internet speed issue

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Do wire connected PC speed testing test good or same? 

Message 2 of 4
Dway
Aspirant

Thanks for your input. I decided to call Spectrum as the speed tests repeated on one device were varying a lot. They suggested changing from Ch 9 on 2.4 GHZ to channel 1, which I did. My call to them resulted in a service call scheduled for tomorrow. The firmware is up to date (V2.3.5.30). My satellite units are about 30 feet away from the main router. The ISP modem is an Aaris TM 1602. Home size is about 3200 s.f. (3 levels - main, upper and basement levels - the satellites are on the main level and in the basement). If there are WiFi neighbors, none are closer than 300 feet (only 1 at that short a distance). Right now, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, WMM and Beamforming are all enabled, and MU-MIMO and 20/40 MHz Coexistence are not enabled. Until Spectrum has completed their service call, I will not try any new adjustments - there's too much signal noise. I really appreciate the prompt response, David

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the speed tests on the modem with a wired PC whille the tech is there. Then connect the Orbi up and speed test again with a wired PC thru the RBR with a speed test app. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7