Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK23 Ethernet Backhaul

Benjimcb
Aspirant

RBK23 Ethernet Backhaul

Hey guys,

I would like to buy Netgear Orbi RBK23 for my house. I have 2 floors and my ISP router os at the ground. I have Cat6 Ethernet cable that goes from the ground floor directly to the 2nd floor. Is it possible to connect the 2nd floor satellite with Backhaul Ethernet to the Orbi router and put another satellite to the 1st floor just with Wifi ? Cause its not possible to get an Ethernet cable at this 1st floor.

I would like to get high perf at all floors. My ISP offers me 900Mb bandwidth.

Thank you for your answers .
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK23 Ethernet Backhaul

I would check with NG support if there is recent v2.1.3.x FW available for that model system. Earlier versions of FW have had mixed or bad results in wired back haul. 

Your configuration should work well. Make sure you are not using any managed switches if you have any in the mix. These seem to cuase problems with Orbi systems. You can use NON managed switches work fine. 

Message 2 of 10
Benjimcb
Aspirant

So if its work I could put my Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port of my Orbi Router or I could put 1 Eth port of the Orbi router on an unmanaged switch and then the satellite of the 2nd to this switch too if I understand ?
And the 1st floor sat will run with fully wireless backhaul.

Am I right ?
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Also be sure to keep a 30-40 feet distance between the router and satellite(s). 

Message 4 of 10
arjanlaan
Aspirant

Hello Benji, can you comment if you went for the RBK23 and do you use wired backhaul. I am thinking of the same setup and looking for experience on the wired backhaul

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

For wired back haul:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. Besure to use a non managed switch, not a managed switch...

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...
Another initial setup process: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Backhaul-breaks-the-whole-network/m-p/1615770/highlight/true#M...
Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

@arjanlaan wrote:

Hello Benji, can you comment if you went for the RBK23 and do you use wired backhaul. I am thinking of the same setup and looking for experience on the wired backhaul

Message 6 of 10
arjanlaan
Aspirant

Thank you ; yes I read those URL's - yet in the first NG URL there is no mention that the wired backhal is applicable to RBK23. This may be a moot point as I think the RBK23 product is just 3 * RBK20 device.

My own ISP router is a Compal Broadband Networks, Inc. device with 4 LAN ports that I can connect the Orbi's to.
I use NG ProSafe switches that are being called Managed yet their management is quite minimal.
So I have different options

I mostly responded to this thread to see if the original author had actually purchased the RBK23 and then connected the devices over wire

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The URL is a general wired connection information for ALL of Orbi systems and support wired back haul. I believe most of the systems so.

Reason for asking about modem is some modems on a built in router which can cause problems with Orbi systems. A stand alone modem is preferred. If you already have a router that you want to use, then you may want to configure the Orbi system in AP mode instead of router mode.

If it's managed, then you may have problems with Orbi systems. Users have posted about having problems between the two. However a few have mentioned that disabling all IGMP protocols on the managed switch has help them with there problems with these switches in between the Orbi router and satellites.  Something to keep in mind.

@arjanlaan wrote:

Thank you ; yes I read those URL's - yet in the first NG URL there is no mention that the wired backhal is applicable to RBK23. This may be a moot point as I think the RBK23 product is just 3 * RBK20 device.

My own ISP router is a Compal Broadband Networks, Inc. device with 4 LAN ports that I can connect the Orbi's to.
I use NG ProSafe switches that are being called Managed yet their management is quite minimal.
So I have different options

I mostly responded to this thread to see if the original author had actually purchased the RBK23 and then connected the devices over wire

Message 8 of 10
arjanlaan
Aspirant

OK understood
Thank you

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

@arjanlaan wrote: