Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Purple Ring Issues

fuberwil
Aspirant

RBK50 Purple Ring Issues

Hello Everyone,

Haven't found a solution yet and decided it was time to see if anyone could help me with this. I bought my Orbi RBK50 back in 2016 when it first came out and i've constantly been having issues with the router. Every so often the router will lose connection with the internet and give me the purple ring of death. My software is updated and it happens without fail at least 5 times a week and multiple time on weekends. I've called support on it and they sent me a new router (about a year ago) but the issues are still occuring.

Everytime I lose connection, I've rebooted the router from the ip address, i've rebooted the router from the device, i've unplugged my modem and router and replugged it. Most the 1-2 star amazon reviews are the same issue but for some reason I can't find a way to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm trying to avoid buying a different mesh wifi. 

Message 1 of 8
randomousity
Luminary

Re: RBK50 Purple Ring Issues

It could be an issue with your modem and not the Orbi. If the modem has issues, it could affect the link between the modem and Orbi router. The Orbi could lose its IP address and fail to re-establish it. It could be caused by a failing modem, or if you have power fluctuations (voltage drops, brownouts, etc.). Plugging the modem and Orbi into a line conditioner or UPS might resolve the issue for you. Replacing the modem might be another solution if that doesn't work.

Message 2 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?

What wired devices do you have connected to the Orbi router and satellites? Any wired mesh speakers (e.g. Sonos)

Message 3 of 8
fuberwil
Aspirant

It’s not the modem, I’ve spoken to my internet provider numerous times and they’ve also come out to diagnose the issue while providing a new modem.
I don’t think it’s a power thing but it would be interesting to test the UPS suggestion. I might resort to that just to see.
Message 4 of 8
fuberwil
Aspirant

Currently running a wireless backhaul. I have a ton of devices connected to the orbi. I have two sonos and ~10 smart switches/plugs. It was having the purple ring issue prior to the smart switches being installed in my home.
Message 5 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@fuberwil wrote:
Currently running a wireless backhaul. I have a ton of devices connected to the orbi. I have two sonos and ~10 smart switches/plugs. It was having the purple ring issue prior to the smart switches being installed in my home.

For testing purposes, can you plase test to disconnect the wired Sonos from Orbi and see if you will get any improvement.

I had too many similar backhaul issues (as well as other wifi and internet disconnection issues) when I had my mesh audio system wired to my Orbi Satellite. All issues were gone when I disconnected those wired speakers and connected them wirelessly instead.

These devices cause loops in the base stations that affect the system performance and cause many "strange" unexplainable issues as I experienced.

Message 6 of 8
fuberwil
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:

@fuberwil wrote:

For testing purposes, can you plase test to disconnect the wired Sonos from Orbi and see if you will get any improvement.

I had too many similar backhaul issues (as well as other wifi and internet disconnection issues) when I had my mesh audio system wired to my Orbi Satellite. All issues were gone when I disconnected those wired speakers and connected them wirelessly instead.

These devices cause loops in the base stations that affect the system performance and cause many "strange" unexplainable issues as I experienced.

Ah, I meant I have a ton of devices connected wirelessly to my Orbi. All my sono units are connected wirelessy, currently nothing is directly plugged into my router except the modem.

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Is the modem -by any chance- providing any DHCP functionality?

Can you confirm that all your devices and the Satellites are on the same IP network?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7