Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 Streaming between devices

gjrandazz
Aspirant

RBK50 Streaming between devices

I have the main router(RBK50) and 2 satellites (RBS50). I have this problem and I'm not sure it's the orbi, modem, or connection. When trying to stream games from one device to another, both wired, I get extreme low fps and lag. I have 1gig Internet speed. Individually, the speeds are fine. Its when I try to say stream from my computer to nvidia shield, as an example, that I have problems. Is there a setting on the Orbi router that would affect this. I've tried enabling and disabling upnp, but with no success. Thanks.
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 Streaming between devices

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 11
gjrandazz
Aspirant

Thanks for quick reply. My ISP is Optimum. I use my own cable modem (netgear sb8200). Router to satellite is over 30 feet. House is a single midsized 1 floor. I have beamforming, mimo, upnp, and wwm enabled. Daisy chain and fast roaming are disabled. Firmware of router is 2.7.2.10
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

As a test, turn OFF the RBS and connect your PC and Nvidia device to the RBR and test with these connected at the RBR. Any differences? 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have any Arnor, Circle or Traffic Meter features enabled? 

Message 6 of 11
gjrandazz
Aspirant

Yes, traffic meter is enabled. But same problems when it was disabled
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.

Message 8 of 11
gjrandazz
Aspirant

I'm stumped. I used all the recommended settings, but no better. Like I said, the individual speeds are fine, but when I stream between multiple devices, performance is horrible. I logged into my modem. The numbers look normal.
Message 9 of 11
vajim
Master

@gjrandazz wrote:
Router to satellite is over 30 feet. 

This might be your problem...??

Message 10 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@gjrandazz wrote:
I have the main router(RBK50) and 2 satellites (RBS50). I have this problem and I'm not sure it's the orbi, modem, or connection. When trying to stream games from one device to another, both wired, I get extreme low fps and lag. I have 1gig Internet speed. Individually, the speeds are fine. Its when I try to say stream from my computer to nvidia shield, as an example, that I have problems. Is there a setting on the Orbi router that would affect this. I've tried enabling and disabling upnp, but with no success. Thanks.

Can you please be more specific about the configuration.

i.e. which Orbi is the computer wired to and which Orbi is the Nvidia wired to?

Does the internet connection have any relationship to the games being streamed? 

II would be tempted to experiment with a couple of things, such as:

• Enable telnet on the Orbii router (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm)
    Then telnet into the Orbi and type the command satelliteinfo  wifi
    This will display the connection speed between the two Orbi satellites and the router.
  • My "goto" tool for investigating lag is hrPING (free at https://www.cfos.de/en/ping/ping.htm).
    This allows creation very accurate ICMP tests (ping) with variable parameters.  I usually collect several thousand pings and then use Excel to find the fastest, longest, average, etc.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7