Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK50 with DLink DSL2870B VDSL Modem/Router - how to turn off DLink router

Robanddee
Aspirant

RBK50 with DLink DSL2870B VDSL Modem/Router - how to turn off DLink router

Hi,

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK50 system to improve the WIFI in my home, I originally set it up in AP mode and everything works well, however in this configuration I cannot use any of the Orbi router settings like disabling connected devices etc.

I would like to setup the Orbi in Router mode and use my DLink DSL2870B as a modem only so as not to get any conflicts, double NAT etc, however I cannot work out how to do this. I have tried setting up the Orbi in Router mode and everything appears to work, but I'm not sure this is the correct way to set up.

I have tried selecting "bridge mode" on the DLink but I get the message "no default route" so I did not continue. Can I simply disable NAT and DHCP on the DLink?

I have been through the DLink manual a number of times but I can't work out how to proceed, is it ok to continue with the Orbi in router mode connected to the DLink modem/router without disabling the router part or will this cause issues down the track?

I would prefer not to have to return to using my Orbi in AP mode only if possible.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK50 with DLink DSL2870B VDSL Modem/Router - how to turn off DLink router

If you bridge the DSL Modem, you need to input your DSLs PPPoE user name and PW for your account into the Orbi routers UI. You need to see if the Orbi supports PPPoE connections first of. I don't see PPPoE in my UI. 

If it doesn't, then you can keep the DSL modem/router in router mode and use it's DMZ for the IP address it give the Orbi router on it's WAN port. Then you can use the Orbi router in router mode. 

Be sure to check that the DSL modem is using a different IP address for it's LAN port. If it's using 192.168.1.1 then this conflics with the Orbi routers default IP address which is the same. You can change the IP address ON the Orbi router to something different. 192.168.0.1 or .2.1. 

@Robanddeewrote:

Hi,

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK50 system to improve the WIFI in my home, I originally set it up in AP mode and everything works well, however in this configuration I cannot use any of the Orbi router settings like disabling connected devices etc.

I would like to setup the Orbi in Router mode and use my DLink DSL2870B as a modem only so as not to get any conflicts, double NAT etc, however I cannot work out how to do this. I have tried setting up the Orbi in Router mode and everything appears to work, but I'm not sure this is the correct way to set up.

I have tried selecting "bridge mode" on the DLink but I get the message "no default route" so I did not continue. Can I simply disable NAT and DHCP on the DLink?

I have been through the DLink manual a number of times but I can't work out how to proceed, is it ok to continue with the Orbi in router mode connected to the DLink modem/router without disabling the router part or will this cause issues down the track?

I would prefer not to have to return to using my Orbi in AP mode only if possible.

Message 2 of 8
Robanddee
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, Orbi does have PPPoE settings in the web UI but I'm still unsure about bridge mode on the modem router due to the "no default route" message.

Until I can sort out the bridge mode on the DLink I have followed your advice and given Orbi a static IP which I've placed in a DMZ on the DLink.

Setup is now like this...

DLink IP: 192.168.1.1

DLink DMZ: 192.168.1.18

Orbi internet port IP: 192.168.1.18  (Static IP)

Orbi IP: 10.0.0.1

DNS server: 192.168.1.1

Orbi DHCP server: On

Does this look right? Everything appears to be working well.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, Looks good.

Ask your ISP for help and info on how to bridge modems or look up on D-Links support site or forum for help and info. Maybe in the user manual for the modem.

Message 4 of 8
Robanddee
Aspirant

Unfortunately this solution did not work, It appeared ok at first, however, the D-Link began rebooting itself over and over every 10 mins or so until I removed the DMZ and placed Orbi back into AP mode.

I had given up for a while - but have a bit of time off work at the moment, so I've decided to revisit this, hopefully I can get it running this time.

The D-Link has a couple of options - bridge mode ( I emailed my ISP for help with settings but have yet to receive a reply, I just get a msg stating "no default route" when I attempt to use bridge mode), and also "PPPoE passthrough".

I was wondering if PPPoE passthrough might allow for the Modem/Router to function in modem only mode...anyone have any knowledge around this setting and whether it could help in this situation? 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe passthru should help. Ya, I would contact the ISP or D-Link support and ask about this modem. Might check with the ISP to see if there is a modem only option available.

When you set up the DMZ on the DSL modem, did you set up a reserved IP address for the Orbi router on the modem then set DHCP automatic on the Orbi router? Not static.

Seems like there is something wrong with the D-Link modem.

Message 6 of 8
Robanddee
Aspirant

Yeah, I'm starting to think there is an issue with the DLink modem....everytime I set a DMZ it starts to crash & reboot.

I just tested this by leaving all settings the same (Orbi still in AP mode) and simply putting Orbi in a DMZ, as soon as I tried to access a website - red LEDs' on DLink...& reboot!

The reboot loop makes it hard to get back into the DLink web interface to change the settings back again (you have to be quick between cycles). Funny thing is - everything else on the DLink works fine, it's just the moment you attempt to put Orbi into a DMZ that things go haywire...

Without the DMZ I get double NAT, so I guess I'm stuck again for now unless I can work out how to bridge the modem, however, my ISP seem to be ignoring my emails and I'm guessing if they do reply they'll tell me they don't support third party routers.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya. That shouldn't happen on the modem.

Check to make sure it's fully up to date on FW.

DMZ should work well and not cause it to reboot or crash.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7