Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR stopped working and won’t factory reset

Sethforman
Aspirant

RBR stopped working and won’t factory reset

Loved my Orbi RBR50 mesh system for just over two years. Best system I’ve ever had. One day I did a reboot as I do from time to time, and the router never came back on or at least working. Tried every reset and factory reset method imaginable and it just won’t shake the SSID name I have it and reset to factory default. Even ponied up $90 for additional support with them and spent 3 days with 3 different agents to no avail. All they did is have me hold the paper clip in for various times and intervals but basically the same things I did on my own. No luck direct connecting with an Ethernet cable either. Used a few old netgear routers I had around the house until I got a google WiFi system because I couldn’t afford the insane price of a new Orbi system. I have two working satellites from my original Orbi system and think it’s just the router that is shot. Wish I could replace the router but can’t find one. Only the RBK50 and not sure that is compatible with my rbr50 satellites (will it?). Google WiFi is like a mouse on a wheel compared to the Orbi and the family is complaining non stop! Lol help!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR stopped working and won’t factory reset

Any 20, 40 or 50 series RBR will work with RBS50s. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

So if you disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem and just connect 1 wired PC to the RBR, press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. The top ring LED should flash WHITE then begin to pulsate WHITE, can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 with the wired PC and a web browser? 

Message 2 of 14
Sethforman
Aspirant

Thank you for the speedy reply! Router is an Arris TM1602 and ISP is optimum. I’ve tried the direct connect before but going to again now and in the past could not get to the RBR page. Be back soon with updated result when I try again. Thank you!
Message 3 of 14
Sethforman
Aspirant

Sorry, stupid question. Do I need to be online to reach the RBR webpage or just offline and connected directly with an Ethernet to the router?
Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Connected directly with an Ethernet to the router with your wired PC. Disconnect the RBR from the ISP Modem.

Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sethforman wrote:
Only the RBK50 and not sure that is compatible with my rbr50 satellites (will it?).

Yes, indeed, RBK50 is the product code for a "kit" consisting of one RBR50 router and one RBS50 satellite.  This is entirely compatible with the existing RBS50 satellites.

Message 6 of 14
Sethforman
Aspirant

Laptop connected to the modem, router not connected to anything and in pulsing white mode after reset. I go to the gateway 192.168.1.1 and it says I’m not connected to my Orbi WiFi. Did I do anything wrong?
Message 7 of 14
Sethforman
Aspirant

Sorry! Late here and I’m out of it. I am connected from my laptop direct to the router and not connected to the modem. Still nothing. Sorry to be such a pain and appreciate your patience and help.
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem and just connect 1 wired PC to the RBR, press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. The top ring LED should flash WHITE then begin to pulsate WHITE, can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 with the wired PC and a web browser? 

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBR is faulty and needs to be replaced...

Message 10 of 14
Sethforman
Aspirant

Thank you again COE the quick and thoughtful responses. May I please ask one last question on this topic? Shopping for a new router but can I use any RBK router with my RBS50 satellites?
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any 20, 40 or 50 series RBR will work with RBS50s. 

Message 12 of 14
Sethforman
Aspirant

Many thanks once again! I did read just now that using something slower in the RBK family for my replacement would slow the satellites to the same level. Makes sense.. ordered my new RBR50 and arrived tomorrow. Can’t wait to put the Google WiFi back in the box and bring it back to bestbuy!
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation