Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 AND DOCSIS 3.1

Ultraklassic
Aspirant

RBR40 AND DOCSIS 3.1

I have a new Arris SB33 DOCSIS 3.1 modem connected to an Orbi RBR40 router system with 3 satellites.    I suscribe to Vyvebroadband for my cable needs and I have the 1Ghz download package.     My Arris modem displays 2 lights to notify the user that the modem is in DOCSIS 3.0 (green light) or DOCSIS 3.1 (blue light) mode.    Vyvebroadband is swearing that the modem should be in DOCSIS 3.1 mode according to their settings but my light is GREEN and not BLUE.   So my question is:  Is the limiting factor from receiving DOCSIS 3.1 my Orbi RBR40 router????  There is, of course, no button on the Arris SB33 modem to manually switch between the two DOCSIS speeds, as its "automatic".

Message 1 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 AND DOCSIS 3.1

..........or is my Cable provider lying to me regarding their ability to deliver DOCSIS 3.1????Smiley Frustrated

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be the modem. You'll need to contact the Modems Mfr for additional help and support regarding there modem. Also keep in contact with your ISP. They'll need to check the signal on the lines up to the modem and check cableing.

Good Luck. 

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem?

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ultraklassic wrote:

..........or is my Cable provider lying to me regarding their ability to deliver DOCSIS 3.1????Smiley Frustrated

This modem has only one LED, which uses different colors to indicate status. See page 9:

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0h4Q00000XgNlvQAF&c=SURFboard%20Mo... 

I see two possibilities:

• What Arris describes as 'blue' may appear 'green' to you.
    Color tests are widely available on the internet.  They are quick and sort of entertaining.  I found this one almost fun:
    https://www.colorblindnesstest.org/ 
  • There is a problem with your cable drop which affects some of the frequencies and the ISP is unaware of it.

Are you able to log onto the modem? (Page 15 of the manual) and navigate to page 18?  That is supposed to indicate the status of the modem.

Message 5 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Been busy at work guys so thanks for the replies. I have not called the ISP yet but I did log into my modem and this is what I see. Do these numbers look acceptable???

My modem is still showing a green light indicative of DOCSIS 3.0 when it should be blue for DOCSIS 3.1. I will check my cabling for crappy splitters to rule that out as a potential communication issue.

And BTW, I passed the Color Blind Test.... LOL🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

got the rest of the data? yours only goes through channel 22 and misses the upstream and the ofmda channels

Message 7 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Thanks plemans for the reply.   What would you like to see so I don't waste your time posting useless info?    I appreciate all the input from everyone Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Here's a pic.
Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

did you change something? your power levels whent form a 9 to a 4. 

You do have errors in the line so it could be a line issue. 

Remove any splitters, amplifiers, or signal attenuators, 

Check the line for damage, kinks, old/bad/cheap connections and remove them if there are. 

Message 10 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I haven't changed anything. I called Vyvebroadband and asked them how they actually verify delivering DOCSIS 3.1 to the customer..... of course the "tech" said "well because we put DOCSIS 3.1 in your profile....". WTF!?!?! Couldn't even ASSURE me that they were delivering the speeds I am paying for not to mention my internet speeds are all over the place. I can't wait until AT&T bring fiber optic into my neighborhood. I feel Vyvebroadband is "selling" speeds they don't support.
Message 11 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be fun to contact support and ask if this particular modem is running the correct firmware version.

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/S33-Locating-the-Firmware-Version/?l=... 

I had hoped to find something on the web indicating where in the modem web interface it would display the "mode" (3.0 vs. 3.1) in addition to the front LED.  No joy.

Message 12 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Thanks Crimpon. Latest firmware is installed. 😉 I too scoured the interweb to no avail. Other than the light either being blue or green, that's it. Even logging INTO the modem gives no clue to solving this mystery.

My actual cable wire comes off the pole directly into my house. No "splitter" but there is one "male to male connector" to assist in extending the length of the coax to reach the modem inside the house. Guess I'll check that for moisture or something. At this point I could have saved over $200 and used my older Arris modem. 😞
Message 13 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Well I changed The coax cable from the modem all the way to the drop from the pole  to my house with Top shelf coax cable and used a 3Ghz male-to-male adapter to make the connection. ...... still no DOCSIS 3.1 and speeds still suck.  I'm getting robbed by my ISP  

Message 14 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

I fear there are now two topics being discussed:

• Is the service DOCSIS 3.1, and
  • Why is the 'speed' not acceptable.

DOCSIS 3.0 provides speeds up to 1G and maxes out at 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels.

Here's one of many references:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060401/What-is-the-difference-between-DOCSIS-3-0-and-3-1 

Your service consists of 32 channels of 256QAM (42.88Mb/channel) That is a total downstream speed of (24 x 42.88 = 1,029.12Mb/sec)

i.e. 1G. (as per the modem screen shot in message #9 above).

DOCSIS 3.1 modems are "Downward compatible" with DOCSIS 3.0.  What appears to be happening is the ISP is delivering 1G download speed in a form that both DOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.1 modems can handle.  Did the ISP promise speed higher than 1G?

Up until this point, my impression was why the modem was not displaying the correct color LED for DOCSIS 3.1. And the answer is the color shows DOCSIS 3.0 because the channel encoding is DOCSIS 3.0.

If they had promised speeds higher than 1GB, then they would have had to use DOCSIS 3.1 encoding, and the LED would turn the correct color.

(It appears to me that) it is now time to examine "speed" rather than color.

Most of the time, we suggest that users connect a PC directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and runa Speed Test to establish "the best it can be."  After that, plug in the router and test there.

Message 15 of 16
Ultraklassic
Aspirant

Wow Crimpon. I think I see the clear picture now. Everyone's input is GREATLY appreciated but this explains to me how my uneducated "approach" to this seems to be resolved. I'm ONLY promised MAX 1Ghz so your explanation has enlighten me tremendously. Now to address the speeds.  

I check my speed via my ORBI  internet connectionto my modem   I will directly connect a PC to the modem and see if there's a  difference.  I'll report back   Thanks! ! 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7