Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR40 and 2 Satellites will not detect 2 Macbooks, but recognizes 15 other devices

SGerman
Aspirant

RBR40 and 2 Satellites will not detect 2 Macbooks, but recognizes 15 other devices

I have an Orbi RBR40 Tri-band WiFi Router and 2 satellites running v2.5.1.22 and v2.5.1.16 respectively. Router is connected to Xfinity modem and has consistently been running about 16+ devices. According to Orbi app I get download speeds of 208Mbps, Upload of 6.13Mbps and Ping at 37ms. Each satellite is about 50+ ft away from base and each other in different rooms of the house. Today out of the blue, 2 of our Macbooks will not connect to the internet even though both show connected to network and have IP addresses assigned. Any web browsing produces an error "not connected to internet". All other devices are fine including another Macbook. Apple care support says it has to be network as when I open a hot spot both Macbooks can connect and browse using the hot spot. Problem here is hot spot is very slow. Any suggestions to get these two Macbooks back on the network as up until today have always been connected. 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR40 and 2 Satellites will not detect 2 Macbooks, but recognizes 15 other devices

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try a power OFF of the ISP modem and RBR and RBS for 30 seconds then back ON with the ISP modem first then Orbi system after. 

Does the mac books get an IP address from the RBR when connected at all? 

What OSX version is loaded on the mac books? 

Message 2 of 5
SGerman
Aspirant

Re: RBR40 and 2 Satellites will not detect 2 Macbooks, but recognizes 15 other devices

Thank you for the response... the modem is a Netgear CM500 and both Macbooks are running Catalina v10.15.7. We've tried all the power downs and yes the Macbooks both still get IP address with no connections to the internet. WiFi status on both Macbooks show green and I can see packets received. We ran a diagnostics on both Macbooks with Apple care support and shows no internet connection. But both Macbooks will connect to a hot spot and the neighbors WiFi with no issues, just not ours. No other issues with any of our other 16+ devices, as I mentioned includes another Macbook. Still at a loss. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

16 other devices working on Orbi and only these two mac books using 10.15.7 would kind of point to the mac books having a problem. 

Check the mac books to see if the networking setting are getting a DNS address from the Orbi router, maybe a 192.168.1.1 address. If you don't see anything in DNS, this would be a cause of the macs not getting internet services. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Did these two MacBooks have a software update recently?

Is Access Control turned on?

Do you use the Orbi "app" or the Orbi web interface to manage the Orbi system?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7