Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Orbi Router Internet Port

Brent_Orbi
Tutor

RBR50 - No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Orbi Router Internet Port

Device is about 18 months old.  We lost power last night, and the system did not come back up.  After a ton of troubleshooting:

1) Router was not getting IP from cable modem

2) Laptop to cable modem works (gets IP)

3) Factory Reset RBR50

4) On reset, in setup, it now says "No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Orbi Router Internet Port" when in fact, there is, and it's showing link light.

I've swapped the cable.  Really not sure what else to do.  Did the ethernet port magically go bad?  Is there some other technical meaning to the above statement?  I assume if it wasnt pulling an IP or something it would just say so.

Thanks for the help.  Modem is a Moto Surf Board, standard fare.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - No Ethernet Cable Is Plugged into the Orbi Router Internet Port

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Power OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute. Then power ON the modem and let it sync. Power ON the RBR and check the status. If still nothing, try same process with modem and do a factory reset on the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC. 

Message 2 of 9
Brent_Orbi
Tutor

Hey, its a Surfboard SB6183.  I own it.  I've rebooted in every order imaginable.  I left the modem off for 30 minutes.. 

Still says there is no cable plugged in.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So a direct connected wired PC or laptop with the modem works right? 

Even after a factory reset, if the status still says no cable and the RBR is not working, Possible bad RBR unit. 

You can try updating the RBRs FW and see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Disconnect the RBR from the modem while you do this. 

Update the RBS first then RBR. After the RBR comes back to ready, factory reset the RBR, reconnect the RBR to the modem and walk thru the setup wizard...if this still fails, the RBR needs to be replaced. Return it to place of purchace or make contact with NG support and ask about an RMA. 

Message 4 of 9
Brent_Orbi
Tutor

I was affraid of that.  I finally got my old router out and it's working..  I've tried plugging the RBR into that LAN port to at least get an IP and see if it will flow but that has not worked as well.  Firmware is updated to the latest version..

I'll try to get Netgear to RMA it.  We'll see..  It's 18 months old so I am expecting a big fat nope.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Great trouble shooting step to test that. Ya, probably not in warranty. Smiley Sad

@Brent_Orbi wrote:

I was affraid of that.  I finally got my old router out and it's working..  I've tried plugging the RBR into that LAN port to at least get an IP and see if it will flow but that has not worked as well.  Firmware is updated to the latest version..

I'll try to get Netgear to RMA it.  We'll see..  It's 18 months old so I am expecting a big fat nope.

Message 6 of 9
Brent_Orbi
Tutor

So:

1) Confirmed entire ethernet switch is bad.  All the ports hardware link but dont pass traffic. (Switched Orbi to AP mode to check.  No dice)

2) As expected, Netgear support has told me to go pound sand on RMA (Device is out of warranty by 6 months). 

Since you cannot buy the RBR50 by itself, I could go buy a RBR20 (Maybe), get less range, and have to buy a switch because it has less ports, or I could get the cable modem version which I dont need...  Or go used on Amazon and hope it works.

Honestly, I'm a little bummed out.  The most expensive home router system Netgear sells and it's basically a brick.  Guy on phone was appologetic but unhelpful once we confirmed the hardware was bad.  

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try amazon to see if one works there. If it doesn't you can at least send it back. You get 30 days with Amazon. 

It's cheap enough to add a switch if you get the RBR20. 

Message 8 of 9
Erdman
Aspirant

Made a terrible purchase.

Bought the RBR50 in February, always connected to a surge/bbu.

In the middle of work this morning I got dropped offline. Though my modem was showing connectivity I called my isp. While waiting I direct connected my modem to my laptop and got online.

Opened the OrBI app and I couldn’t connect.

Reboot, tried connecting, again nothing.

Reset the Orbi to factory, rebooted the modem. Went thru the steps for new setup. Gives an error that there is no Ethernet connected. Found a thread here, followed the steps 3 times.

There’s $400 plus down the drain... unbelievable, not really. No warranty, no support without paying. Should have known.

The signal on this degraded more and more each month. 2000 sq ft house, 2 satellites and still had signal drop.

DO NOT BUY THIS MESH ROUTER SETUP.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7