Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBS50 Issues with Nest Cameras

moraru
Aspirant

RBR50/RBS50 Issues with Nest Cameras

Had my Orbi system working perfectly with my Nest Cameras - but recently the router failed and had a new one sent to replace it.

The internet is super fast - and not having trouble streaming video - but my Nest Cameras are offline more than online.

Nest tells me that I should split the 2.4 from the 5 - which I supposedly can't do - and would be a pain for many other reasons as well...

I've been on the phone with Orbi and changed multiple settings with no improvment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Currently running most recent firmware.  Have 2 regular satelittes and 1 outdoor.

The 2 indoor satelittes have ethernet (wired) backhaul.

Thanks much!

signed - FRUSTRATED

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50/RBS50 Issues with Nest Cameras

@moraru wrote:

Nest tells me that I should split the 2.4 from the 5 - which I supposedly can't do - and would be a pain for many other reasons as well...

The advice from Nest seems illogical.  These Nest cameras functioned correctly with an Orbi router for some time without "splitting" the SSID's.  Ergo: this is not necessary.

I always look for "what has changed?"  The router was replaced with the same model.  How was the "swap" accomplished?  Had the original configuration file been saved to disk and than was copied onto the new router, or was the new router "set up from scratch"?

How were the original satellites synched with the new router?

Message 2 of 5
moraru
Aspirant

Correct - it worked well with the Nestcams earlier.

Unfortunately I did not save the original configuration file from the original Orbi.

I set up the new orbi as a new router "from scratch" and connected the satellites during the initial setup.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you give the new router exactly the same SSID and password as the first router? 

All devices should have connected automatically. 

Since the new router may have been broadcasting before the satellites were synced to it, maybe the Nest cams all connected to the router? Can you restart the Nest cams and see which Orbi they connect to? 

Message 4 of 5
moraru
Aspirant

Actually no.  I live in an isolated area - so previously didn't have the internet password protected.  I've now added a password - so had to individually re-add all the nests to the wifi network.  They are all connected to the closest satelittle/router

@CrimpOn wrote:

Did you give the new router exactly the same SSID and password as the first router? 

All devices should have connected automatically. 

Since the new router may have been broadcasting before the satellites were synced to it, maybe the Nest cams all connected to the router? Can you restart the Nest cams and see which Orbi they connect to? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7