Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Router SN 4PM2695Y074C1

johnniej
Tutor

RBR50 Router SN 4PM2695Y074C1

I currently have the RBR50 router with 2 RBS50 Satellites in my home and it works fine.

However my signal in my garage is not very good and I want to add something out there to get a better signal in the garage.

The garage is detached from the house and is about 25' away from the house. I get a wireless signal out there but it's not very good and sometimes I get no signal at all.

So I want to add something to give me better wireless in the garage and I'd like to know the best way to do it.

So the question is can I just add a RBW30 out in the garage to boost my Wi-Fi signal out there? My system is an AC3000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi and the RBW30 is an AC2200 system so I'm not sure if the 2 will work together.

If the RBW30 is not the way to go can I add an additional RBS50 satellite out in the garage to help boost the signal.

In either case if the signal already going out there is weak or sometimes not existent will either of these devices be the way to go.

I can get a wired connection out there if I have to but prefer to not have to go through all that if I can help it.

Thanks for the help

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

Re: RBR50 Router SN 4PM2695Y074C1

Yours sounds exactly like my own situation. I added a second RBS50 in the detached garage and had no issues getting the full 200 mb/s that I get throughout my house from the router and satellite in there.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 5
johnniej
Tutor

I currently have 2 satelittes in the house and want to add a 3rd in the garage.

I see they have something called and RBW30 which just plugs into an outlet and didn't know if that would work with the system I have already or if I have to add another RBS50.

Message 3 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

From what I understand you can use an RBW30 and the "daisy chain" topology to get better service in your garage. However, due to the daisy chain limitations you may not get a huge speed boost. A hardwire solution will give you better reliabily and, most probably, higher speed access.

I am not a WiFi expert by any strecth of the imigination. I'd recommend adjusting the location of your existing satellites before spending any money on another one! BTW, I have one satellite and it covers my attached 4 car garage quite nicely in the 2.4gHz band. That's after going through a concrete block/stucco wall and drywall.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 5
johnniej
Tutor

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The router itself which sends the Wi-Fi signal to the satellites is 6' from the back wall of the house so I can't arrange anything any closer to the garage as it is.

So I think I'm going to have to add something.

I was hoping to use the RBW30 so all I have to do is plug it in but that may not be the best solution since the signal out there is already weak and intermittent at times.

I do have one ethernet connection going out there but it's to my security camera NVR.

I could take that connection and connect it a LAN connection on a new device in the garage that would give me WiFi as well as additional ethernet connections. Then I could just take one of those ethernet connections to the NVR for the security cameras.

But that would mean I'd have to add another device like a router with Wi-Fi which I'm not crazy about doing. I'd like to keep all the Wi-Fi on the Orbi system.

The Orbi satellites have the ethernet outputs that I would need but no LAN connection to take the signal from the home network.

I'm not deceided yet on which way to go.

Thanks for the input

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7