Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 guest network Google Hub Nest or Chromecast

db4eddie
Aspirant

RBR50 guest network Google Hub Nest or Chromecast

RBR50 allows main network to connect with a new Google Nest Home and Google Chromecast but gives error message/ won’t finish connection when trying to connect using Orbi guest network. I have reset the router, the iPhone, the google home app, factory reset the Nest Home, the Chromecast all to no avail. I am on the same guest WiFi network for all when I make the attempt to connect.

Odd that it slows me to connect when I use the main Orbi network but not guest despite all the resets
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 guest network Google Hub Nest or Chromecast

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Why are you connecting IoTdevices to the Guest network? Most IoT should be connected to the main wifi network. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you please be more specific about how things are connected.

The devices (Nest Home, Google Chromecast) are connected to which Orbi network (primary or Guest)?

On the Guest network setup page, what is the status of the box "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network"?

Are you able to connect to the Nest Home when away from the Orbi system?

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
db4eddie
Aspirant

e)
Firmware of Orbi is 2.3.5.30
Of iPhone is IOS 13.3
Modem is Ubee with model # DDW36C

I am trying to connect the Nest Hub via Orbi Guest because the Nest Hub is in our guest house on our property and I don’t want to give our guests access to the main Orbi network I use for business and personal WiFi
Message 4 of 8
db4eddie
Aspirant

None are connected yet but I am attempting to connect via Guest in order to keep guests at our property away from our main Orbi network since we use the main network for business and personal use
On the Guest network setup page, what is the status of the box I have not been able to get to the Guest network setup page since the day I set up the guest network. Do you have ideas on how I can get to the set up page?

Yes I am able to connect the Nest Hub and Chrome cast using other networks. I am also able to connect using the main Orbi network of my home.
Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I guess this is not the time to point out that if a satellite is located in the guest house and has an ethernet jack, then any laptop connected to it is by definition on the primary network?  And, no, there is no method to "disable" the ethernet ports.  There are some satellites with no ethernet port.

Message 6 of 8

@db4eddie wrote:

I am trying to connect the Nest Hub via Orbi Guest because the Nest Hub is in our guest house on our property and I don’t want to give our guests access to the main Orbi network I use for business and personal WiFi

Setting up IoT device on the main network will not suddenly give guests access to the main network.

Message 7 of 8
JLS71
Aspirant

I have the same issue- Orbi RBK50 with Guest Mode activated for tenants but can't both prevent access from the LAN and enable Chromecast to function for them. The Router and Satellite are both unable to be accessed by the tenants, but because I have to enable  Allow guests to see each other and access my local network they do have visibility of my LAN, preventing access to which was the whole idea of activating guest mode for them.

Would be great if Netgear could come up with a solution for this.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7