Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - new device added keeps disconnecting

Streak2
Master

RBR50 - new device added keeps disconnecting

I have had this system with 3 satellites for some time. All works perfectly and all updated to latest firmware.

I just bought a radio from ICOM that has built in wifi, 2.4ghz only.

It connects to Orbi no problem but every number of hours will suddenly disconnect.

When this happens the radio shows that it's still connected to Orbi but the Orbi attached devices screen no longer show the IP address for the radio. The access point screen on the radio shows multiple instances of my Orbi SSID at different signal levels, probably displaying all the Orbi SSID's it can see instead of just one that is normal for all other connected devices.

I need to restart the radio or toggle wifi on it to get it to reconnect.

I have tested this with the radio in same room as one of the satellites as well as in the same room as the Orbi router. Same problem.

I also tested using a Nighthawk wifi router and all worked perfectly, no disconnects. 

I have opened a ticket with ICOM who say that this is the first they are hearing about this radio no playing nicely with mesh networks. They are escalating to Japan.

I thought though that I should reach out here to see if there is anything on the Orbi end I could do to better accommodate this radio.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 - new device added keeps disconnecting

Which ICOM unit is this? (model number)

I (personally) like to assign IP addresses to key WiFi devices so that I know they will always have the same IP address.

Message 2 of 5
Streak2
Master

It's the IC-705.

During setup an IP address is assigned to it and it gets stored in the radio.

You then enter this IP address in the remote software in order to access it.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  What a BEAST.

How do you select one of the many SSID's ? RSSI level?

I suppose that when the Orbi Attached Devices no long shows he IC-705, it is actually not connected?  Page 11-3 says the screen says "Connected" https://www.icomjapan.com/uploads/support/manual/IC-705_ENG_Advanced_2.pdf but. the smartphone app ceases to function?  Does it respond to ICMP (ping)?

One of the frustrating aspects of Orbi firmware is inconsistency in the Attached Devices reporting. Both the web access and Orbi "app" are known for not reporting devices which are clearly connected and "working".

Message 4 of 5
Streak2
Master

Yes, the 705 is a great piece of gear compliments the 100w IC-7300 which I have too.

I choose my Orbi SSID, there is only one when it searches for SSID's but after connecting the others show up as connected too.

When drop out situation occurs as reported by the Icom remote software, every time the 705's IP address/device is no longer in the attached device list.

The moment I bounce the 705's wifi it again appears in the attached device list and everything works again.

While dropped out the 705 still reports connected to the ORBI, as per the manual that you linked, despite this it no longer exists as a device.

It will not respond to a ping when in this condition.

I was also getting quite a lot packet loss.

I just replaced an RBS40 with an RBS50Y I had left over from a previous beta and lo and behold zero packet loss with FTTH round trip of around 20ms which is about as good as when I connect my 7300 via ethernet directly to the system.

Next will be to see if the 705 disconnects again. Beginning to wonder if the RBS40 could have been causing some issues with the whole system that I have in daisy chain mode. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7