Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Connection type 2.4GHz

CJK440
Tutor

RBS50 Connection type 2.4GHz

I had an RBK50V2 system for a while and wanted to add a 2nd satellite. I bought a second hand RBS50 and added it in a hub/spoke config with daisy chain turned off.

With both Sats similar distance (20' direct but on a second floor) the RBS50 that I added as a second shows a 2.4 connectiont type while the original 50V2 shows 5GHz. 

I tried reflashing to the latest (same firmware and tryed resynching half the distance closer to the router with it still going to 2.4. 

Is there possible some settings on the second hand RBS thats limiting it?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS50 Connection type 2.4GHz

There are no settings for backhaul. The firmware scans WiFi connections and looks for ethernet on a schedule and selects the best connection.  There could be an obstacle which the 5G signal is not able to penetrate. Obstacles are not always obvious.

I would first verify that the satellite is functioning correctly by temporarily locating it in the same room as the router.  After it boots up, it should connect to the router over 5G backhaul.  If it does not, then it is broken.

Then, try a different location upstairs.

Message 2 of 5
CJK440
Tutor

Is that what "connection type" is? The backhaul? 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@CJK440 wrote:

I had an RBK50V2 system for a while and wanted to add a 2nd satellite. I bought a second hand RBS50 and added it in a hub/spoke config with daisy chain turned off.

With both Sats similar distance (20' direct but on a second floor) the RBS50 that I added as a second shows a 2.4 connectiont type while the original 50V2 shows 5GHz. 20feet is too close. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Try swapping RBS around with each other to see if problem follows or not.

I tried reflashing to the latest (same firmware and tryed resynching half the distance closer to the router with it still going to 2.4. 

Be sure the RBR and all RBS are using same version of FW. 

Is there possible some settings on the second hand RBS thats limiting it?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@CJK440 wrote:

Is that what "connection type" is? The backhaul? 

This is correct.  For satellites, Connection Type is the backhaul connection. For devices, it is how the device is connected to the Orbi unit in the next column.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7