Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50 Satellite not connecting

richvolpe
Aspirant

RBS50 Satellite not connecting

My Orbi RBS50 satellite has been working perfectly for 2 years, and then suddenly stopped. It is not visible as a connected device on the main router (even when hard-wired directly to the router).

The green power light at the back of the satellite turns on, but the top ring LED does not.

I have tried resetting the satellite, but regardless of how long I hold the reset button, nothing happens (i.e. no change of the power light to amber). Does this alone mean the device is fried??

Assuming not fried, I have a feeling it had something originally to do with a firmware update that may have got updated on the router, but not the satellite (i.e. they are on different firmwares). I would like to try manually update the satellite firmware, but can't work out how to do so without the device being visible on the router.

Any assistance/ideas would be greatly welcomed!!!

Message 1 of 8
vajim
Master

Re: RBS50 Satellite not connecting

@richvolpe wrote:

My Orbi RBS50 satellite has been working perfectly for 2 years, and then suddenly stopped. It is not visible as a connected device on the main router (even when hard-wired directly to the router).

The green power light at the back of the satellite turns on, but the top ring LED does not.

I have tried resetting the satellite, but regardless of how long I hold the reset button, nothing happens (i.e. no change of the power light to amber). Does this alone mean the device is fried??

Assuming not fried, I have a feeling it had something originally to do with a firmware update that may have got updated on the router, but not the satellite (i.e. they are on different firmwares). I would like to try manually update the satellite firmware, but can't work out how to do so without the device being visible on the router.

how do you know it's not working?  what are you use to check the connection?  the app?  if so, use the pc login.  You may have to reboot all, modem, router and sat.  yes the firmware you mention can be a problem.  how did that happen?  in that case you may need to do a factory reset.

Message 2 of 8
richvolpe
Aspirant

I was browsing to 192.168.1.1 from my pc and clicking attached devices and no satellite device is showing.

I did try reboot both router and satellite multiple times.

How do I go about factory reset of the satellite? Holding down the reset button appears to have no effect regardless of how long I hold it.
Message 3 of 8
vajim
Master

@richvolpe wrote:
I was browsing to 192.168.1.1 from my pc and clicking attached devices and no satellite device is showing.

I did try reboot both router and satellite multiple times.

How do I go about factory reset of the satellite? Holding down the reset button appears to have no effect regardless of how long I hold it.

I'd still hold off.  That attached listing in the pc login was acting up for me awhile back.  Not showing sats and devices.  I just left it alone and a few days later all was well.  

What devices do you think should be connected to that sat?  Do they work?  Can you hardwire a device to that sat?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS by pressing the rest button for 15 seconds then release, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. If your PC doesn't get an IP address from the RBS or you can't get into the web page at said IP address, then the RBS would be bad. 

@richvolpe wrote:

Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

I'd still hold off.  That attached listing in the pc login was acting up for me awhile back.  Not showing sats and devices.  I just left it alone and a few days later all was well.  

What devices do you think should be connected to that sat?  Do they work?  Can you hardwire a device to that sat?

Message 6 of 8
richvolpe
Aspirant

Thanks for the input everyone.

Furrye - How should I wire the RBS directly to a Pc? As in plug a cat cable directly into the network port of the pc and one of the network ports behind the RBS?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

@richvolpe wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone.

Furrye - How should I wire the RBS directly to a Pc? As in plug a cat cable directly into the network port of the pc and one of the network ports behind the RBS?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7