Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS50Y V2 Won't Sync to WiFi 6 Orbi Router

Ruegs
Tutor

RBS50Y V2 Won't Sync to WiFi 6 Orbi Router

This is intended to help inform others who are considering the purchase of this outdoor satellite of having trouble joining it to and existing Orbi system. There are a number of posts regarding problems with this device joining existing Orbi networks as a satellite (as opposed to an extender). I've just spent hours trying to get this to work and on the phone with Netgear support. I have an Orbi RBS850 router and the last tech support person I talked with just informed me there is no way the RBS50Y will work on a WiFi 6 network as a satellite. He indicated the RBS50Y is a WiFi 5 device and could only work as an extender on a WiFi 6 network. Assuming this information is true, then shame on Netgear for not making this crystal clear - the company's website says it works with any Orbi WiFi mesh system and that is not true unless you want it to work in extender mode.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS50Y V2 Won't Sync to WiFi 6 Orbi Router

Need to load the Extender Mode FW on the RBSY then it should connect. 

Message 2 of 4
Ruegs
Tutor

Thanks FURRYe38 - I may not have been clear in my post. I understand that the RBS50Y V2 will work in Extender Mode. The reason I posted was that it is not what it is advertised to be in the case of a WiFi 6 Orbi network. Because the RBS50Y V2 is a WiFi 5 device it cannot function as a mesh satellite in a WiFi 6 network. I believe most users will want it to perform as a mesh satellite and Orbi WiFi 6 network users will be disappointed.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Well users have posted about this before. Most users want it to work and are advised, at least on here that with Orbi mode FW loaded, it won't connect to any Orbi AX system. Same goes for RBS50 series as well. The RBS50Y offers Extender mode FW which makes it compatible and work with Orbi AX systems however doesn't get the wireles back haul features as with the native RBS AX units. 

Thanks for the info and sharing. 

Please visit the Orbi AX forum as well for help and support information regarding any Orbi AX systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7