Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SOLUTION: Admin Login Credentials Don't Work after Firmware Update

RollOut
Follower

SOLUTION: Admin Login Credentials Don't Work after Firmware Update

Hello Everyone, like most of you I have lost my admin login credentials after doing certain Firmware updates, some people think we are entering the wrong password but we are not, especially since for me I had just used my admin credentials to login 10 mins before it was lost. 

Also for more information, I did a manual firmware update to version V2.7.3.22 which is the most recent for my Router. 

I was not able to retrieve my credentials anyway, even the security questions were wrong. So I only assumed that my password and answers were deleted somehow. Therefore, the next day I decided to try something different before setting my router to factory reset.

SOLUTION:

What I did was use admin as my username and for the password I left it blank, that was all I had to do and it WORKED! 

I decided to try that since it was the only logical solution for me, I assumed what would the system substitute my PW with, I tried the typical "password" entry the day before with no luck, so I assumed the system might have just kept it blank. 

Therefore, if this ever happens to you just leave your password entry blank, do not type anything in the field, only enter your username which should be "admin"

I hope this will work for all of you who find yourselves in a similar situation. 

Cheers!

@OcarinaMaker @CrimpOn @vajim @FURRYe38 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: SOLUTION: Admin Login Credentials Don't Work after Firmware Update

Might be a good work around. Though I've not seen this odd issue of the admin PW not working after a FW update. Will keep this in mind for others though though most users if they see this will have already hit the problem before making there PW blank or removing it. 

Also a last option is to factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser and complete the wizard which will resolve this as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: SOLUTION: Admin Login Credentials Don't Work after Firmware Update

This may be related to an issue I reported here . In my case the password reverted to the previous password after a reboot.  In the case of this post the OP may only have setup a password once which might explain why the password reverted to null. In my case the password had been changed several times. So in general maybe the Orbi reverts to the previous password (null if only one was set) when this issue is triggered.

I have not received any resolution on my issue but I am glad to see that another user is experiencing a related issue.  This may inspire a solution from Netgear.

DM

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7