Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satelite placement

JamesFreefall
Aspirant

Satelite placement

I am looking to buy an Orbi mesh wifi system and was wondering if there was such a thing as placing the satellites too close.

I have had an extension and on the basis that I cant chage the location of the base unit which is in the middle of the house I wasn going to put a salelite at the rear next to the TV, sonos sound bar, apple TV etc and then another satelite at the front of the house next to a similar set of wifi TVs etc. FInally I was then going to put one upstairs.

Is this overkill?

I am desperate to eliminate all of my wifi issues - currently have a BT smart hub and inefective range extenders (dodgy wiring I think).

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Satelite placement

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between the base and satellites to begin with depending upon building materials.

I have a 5000sq ft home, only use the base and just 1 satellite at about 40 feet in between them...

Message 2 of 6
JamesFreefall
Aspirant

The house is a standard sized 4 bed house (originally 3 beds but we extended outwards side and back).

I just find that the standard BT router set upcant reach upstairs too well or out side to the ring doorbell (which basically doesnt work) plus catch up TV and the Sonos keep dropping off.

I thought if I bought loads of satelites it would be a good thing but then I started wondering if too many would interfere with each other - similarly if the peripherals were right next to the satelites whether that would be a bad thing too.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Yes having too many satellites in close range will be a problem.

If your ISP modem has a built in router, Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. 

Message 4 of 6
JamesFreefall
Aspirant

All so technical - I struggle to understand to be honest.

My house measures about 2500 sq ft but if you measure upstairs too then it doubles !?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Just the size of the box is all. LOL. So a base router and 1 satellite to begine with would be a good start.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7