Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting a different range of IP addresses

DaveK1950
Aspirant

Setting a different range of IP addresses

I'm about to set up my Orbi system, but the standard range of IP addresses is going to cause me much work.  The router I currently use assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.254.xxx, while the Orbi uses 192.168.1.xxx.  About half my equipment uses static IP addresses, and if I use the Orbi range, I will have to go in manually to each of them and change the address.  I'll also have to modify some applications that use those devices, to allow them to be "found". 

Can I set Orbi to use (all but one of) the range of IP addresses that my existing router assigns, instead of its standard set?  The one exception would be the address of the modem/router currently in use.  If yes, any tips on doing that efficiently?  I need about 20 static IP addresses, and another slightly smaller bunch that can be DHCP.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
Roamabout
Luminary

Re: Setting a different range of IP addresses

The Orbi router when used in Router mode and as a DHCP server has pretty much the standard controls for address assignment. You can set the range for what DHCP will use as well as assign IP addresses to specific devices. It is all on the Advanced.. Setup.. Lan Setup.. tab.

Message 2 of 9
HypnosFred
Initiate

UPDATE:  Nevermind, found it.  Ignore this post (I would delete it but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that).

I have the latest firmware (V2.1.4.16), but there is no "Lan Setup" on the Advanced setup page, so there appears to be no way to set the DHCP range.  Anybody else seeing this?  Am I missing something??

-Fred

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

There is LAN setup under Advanced Tab...

Glad you found it. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 9
DaveK1950
Aspirant

I think I ran into the same issue when I initially set the system up.  I think I forgot to check the box that set the Orbi as a DHCP server, but once the box was checked I was able to see the DHCP address range option.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
OziPhil
Aspirant

Instead of settling “static” IP address in each device, Wouldn’t you be better off “reserving” the IP address against each device’s MAC address? This is what I do. Then each time I need to rebuild my network (old devices are removed, new one added,etc) you just go into the reserve table reserve each address again, restart/reboot each device & then should then be re-assigned the new IP address

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You can and is recommended. However there are some devices that you can set for static IP ON the devices, devices with little need of router management, internet and use. Devices like printers, controllers, NAS and Cameras are good candidates for Static IP. This frees up router resources as well. 

@OziPhil wrote:

Instead of settling “static” IP address in each device, Wouldn’t you be better off “reserving” the IP address against each device’s MAC address? This is what I do. Then each time I need to rebuild my network (old devices are removed, new one added,etc) you just go into the reserve table reserve each address again, restart/reboot each device & then should then be re-assigned the new IP address

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

On the Advanced Tab, select "Setup", and "LAN Setup" is one of the choices under it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7