Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow wireless speeds 5ghz

eracet
Aspirant

Slow wireless speeds 5ghz

RBR40 Base.

2 x RBK40 Satellites

I just got Gig internet and testing speeds available on my devices.

The order goes Modem > Orbi > Networks switch.

I get around 900 on my wired connections.

But the wireless is only getting about 200-300.

I checked how these devices were connecting and it looks like they are all on 5ghz and good connection.

Not sure why it is this slow when they should be getting around the 800s

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
krlesch
Star

I hope that this helps - I found a website that explains "what to expect" from various devices when connected to a gigabit connection.

Go to https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi and expand the three (3) sections:

1) Mobile devices (Wi-Fi)

2) Computers (Wi-Fi)

3) Computers (Ethernet or USB adapter to Ethernet)

I understand that the website is for Google Fiber, but the information it provides is useful regardless of ISP.

Specifically under the "MOBILE DEVICES (Wi-Fi)" section you will see that the most that you will get from a mobile device using 802.11ac is around 390Mbps.  So what you are describing is your Orbi providing the speed it is designed to provide.  Hope that this helps set expectations.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

5Ghz AC will never see anywhere near 900Mpbs due to it's limiations on devices and design and support. 

Usually maxes out at around 300-400Mpbs depending. 

Message 2 of 5
eracet
Aspirant

I can get about 550 on the main wireless hub,  But the Satellites I am only getting about 250.

Do I need to consider upgrading system?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@eracet wrote:

Do I need to consider upgrading system?

Streaming 4K video requires about 25MB/s bandwidth.  If there are four television sets connected to one Orbi satellite, that will require about 100 MB/s bandwidth.  Unless you have some enormous number of video streams and RPGs going on at the same time, how will you notice the difference?

Message 4 of 5
krlesch
Star

I hope that this helps - I found a website that explains "what to expect" from various devices when connected to a gigabit connection.

Go to https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/6250056#zippy=%2Cmobile-devices-wi-fi and expand the three (3) sections:

1) Mobile devices (Wi-Fi)

2) Computers (Wi-Fi)

3) Computers (Ethernet or USB adapter to Ethernet)

I understand that the website is for Google Fiber, but the information it provides is useful regardless of ISP.

Specifically under the "MOBILE DEVICES (Wi-Fi)" section you will see that the most that you will get from a mobile device using 802.11ac is around 390Mbps.  So what you are describing is your Orbi providing the speed it is designed to provide.  Hope that this helps set expectations.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7