Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Software-based Firewall necessary?

thuynhj
Aspirant

Software-based Firewall necessary?

Hi I have an Orbi RBR50 and I know there is a built in firewall.  Are you using a software-based firewall in addition to the one that is built in from the router?  If so, which one and which AV software are you using?  I'm currently using ESET Internet Security and leaning toward a free solution once my subscription expired.   

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouln't be necessary. I don't use external FW accept the ones built in to Windows platforms. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@thuynhj wrote:

Hi I have an Orbi RBR50 and I know there is a built in firewall.  Are you using a software-based firewall in addition to the one that is built in from the router?  If so, which one and which AV software are you using?  I'm currently using ESET Internet Security and leaning toward a free solution once my subscription expired.   

Yes, although the Orbi router will stop unwanted connections from the internet, it is common practice for every device inside the local LAN to have a firewall and often Antivirus/Antimalware software to protect themselves from attacks within the LAN.  (i.e. if one home computer gets infected and begins attempting to inifect every other computer it can find.)

Internet of Things (IoT) have very primitive firewalls built into their tiny versions of Linux. Basically, they accept no connections. They open one connection to their "Cloud" and that's it. General purpose computers that run web browsers, do email, etc. usually have more complicated firewall software.  Windows Firewall, for example, has separate rules for local and internet connections and rules for which programs can accept connections from each.  A smart plug needs no antivirus because it never downloads anything.

When your subscription expires, Yes, you need to run something.  I use Windows Defender (free). It's the only free Antivirus product I have found that does not constantly try to get people to move to their paid version.

Message 3 of 4
thuynhj
Aspirant

Thanks, I heard great things about Windows Defender.  Have anyone tried Kaspersky Security Cloud (Free)?  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7