Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sudden Speed Loss When TV Begins To Stream

domforte
Aspirant

Sudden Speed Loss When TV Begins To Stream

I have an RBR40 in AP mode and 2 RBW30 wall plugs. Normal speeds in my office are low 200 Mbps, then one-day last week, my wife and our son were in the living room watching YouTube on the TV (connected wirelessly) and all of sudden my speed dropped to <1 Mbps. WiFi singal from the satellite is still full. She turns it off, everything goes right back to normal. Starts it up 10 minutes later, the same thing happens again.

The RBR40 is located in the cabinet right below the TV in the living room. My office sits about 65FT away from there (complete opposite side of the house). The RBW30 satellite that I connect my MacBook and PC to is in the hallway, maybe 15 feet from where I sit, and my other is upstairs in her office.

To further complicate my frustrations, if I am in the living room, and I do a speed test while connected wirelessly to the RBR40 and YouTube streaming, it averages around 420-450 Mbps.

My Router Settings are as follows:

RBR40 - V2.5.1.16 (Running behind CBTS Fioptics Zyxel Gateway with wireless disabled)
RBW30 - V2.5.0.2

2.4GHz
Enable SSID Broadcast - ON
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence - OFF
Enable WMM - ON
CTS/RTS Threshold - 2347
Preamble Mode - Auto
Transit Power Control - 50%

5GHz
Enable SSID Broadcast - ON
Enable WMM - ON
CTS/RTS Threshold - 2347
Preamble Mode - Auto
Transit Power Control - 100%

Enable Daisy-Chain - OFF

Beamforming - ON
MU-MIMO - ON

Dynamic DNS - OFF

No Static Routes

2.4GHz Channel - Auto
5GHz Channel - 48

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to pull my hair out!! I had to resort to a powerline adapter and a switch so I can still work and the kid can be occupied.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Sudden Speed Loss When TV Begins To Stream

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 75% or 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 4
domforte
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 The distance is probably around 40-50FT from the RBR, and when powering up, I get the Blue ring, so the signal is good and my backhaul is also good.

Not really sure what changing the power would do in this instance, but I have adjusted the 5MHx down to 75% and will monitor if any changes happen.

It's almost as if anthing that is connected to the main RBR is taking precident over the satellite connections.  Just today, it is not killing my speeds on my satellite-connected devices when someone goes to watch TV on a set-top box. I guess I will try a factory reset tonight and see if that does anything. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Might try moving the RBS a bit closer to the RBR maybe. Like 5 feet and see. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7