Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switched Orbi RBR20 From Router to AP Mode and now the RBS20 Satellite has stopped working

AndyMcJ
Initiate

Switched Orbi RBR20 From Router to AP Mode and now the RBS20 Satellite has stopped working

Hi this is my first post on this forum and I hope the community can tell me where I am going wrong or if I have a defective unit.

As most of my setup is now Ubiquiti UniFi for my networking I added a Ubiquiti USG as my router so I can have all the information about my network at my fingertips. However, in adding the USG to my network, I did not want to have to dispose of my Orbi RBR20 and the Satellite unit RBS20 as they still work rock solid for my WiFi, so I followed the instructions to turn my Orbi WiFi Router into an Access Point. But I had issues with Internet access only via the Satellite (RBS20).

To complicate matters more than this it also upgraded the firmware to the latest version from V2.3.5.30 to V2.5.1.16, so even after syncing the Satellite to the master Orbi it still had issues (No Internet from the Satellite) but i could log into it remotely via the web interface and it said it was working well on both frequencies. The master orbi when logged in could also see the Satellite and said that the connection was "Good". I also took away the potential for it to be the Backhaul link by also plugging the Satellite into a wired ethernet port so now they were linked by 1Gb Ethernet link, again everything looked OK but still no Internet just from anything connected to the Satellite?

So maybe it was the upgrade of the Firmware, so I downgraded both the RBR20 and the RBS20 to the Firmware that I knew worked well when they were working in Router mode. This also had zero effect, after a lot of factory resetting both units and installing then converting to AP with a wired backhaul link, I am still at a point where the Satellite sometimes works and drops out, leaving computers and devices still connected but with no Internet Access? As soon as I unplug the Satellite the computers and devices immediately start working and connect to the internet. If I had any hair left I would now be pulling it out I am ready to toss the Satellite altogether.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Switched Orbi RBR20 From Router to AP Mode and now the RBS20 Satellite has stopped working

@AndyMcJ wrote:

As soon as I unplug the Satellite the computers and devices immediately start working and connect to the internet. If I had any hair left I would now be pulling it out I am ready to toss the Satellite altogether.

I am confused about "which computers and devices" work or don't work when the satellite is unplugged.

Not thrilled to see two paths from the satellite to the Ubiquity router (one direct through the switch and one through the switch and the Orbi router [in AP mode].

If the satellite got a "Good" 5G connection with the router, I suggest moving back to that configuration and get the switch out of the picture.  Or, connect the Orbi & switch using an ethernet coupler https://www.amazon.com/Coupler-Ethernet-Connectors-Extender-Connector/dp/B07CZFQPZ3/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?... 

Another question regards how complicated is your situation.  If the Orbi was "rock solid" when in router mode, what is the "down side" of keeping it in router mode?  I understand this creates the dreaded "Double NAT" and that everything connected to the Orbi WiFi will be in a different subnet managed by the Orbi.  You are apparently content to manage two WiFi networks where some devices are conencted to one and some to the other.  Do devices on the two networks need to connect to each other, or do they all just need internet access?

Message 2 of 3
AndyMcJ
Initiate

Re: Switched Orbi RBR20 From Router to AP Mode and now the RBS20 Satellite has stopped working

I have one wireless network for IOT (Internet Of Things) like SmartThings, Google Home Mini's and Screen's, CCTV and Robot Vacuum's. The other network is for Streaming Devices like Roku's, TV's, Radio's and for Laptop use. This way my network is segregated and the Wireless bandwidth is not hitting capacity with 80+ devices all on one WiFi device.

The Orbi works great as an Access Point if you leave the Satellite off of it, as soon as that gets added to the network, it takes devices that connect to it that are closest to it (as it should) and then tells them that they are connected but without Internet? so your Laptop can have nice fast Internet speeds then nothing if the signal jumps to the Satellite.

As for the USG that has 2 LAN Inputs and a WAN Output port, So i can have all the data run through my USG which gives me overal Bandwidth being used.

I will be getting a UniFi AC Pro SDH in a weeks time that can handle a high number of clients with faster speeds than the Orbi so I will switch to that and sell off the Orbi and Satellite unless I can get the Satellite working before then.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7