Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unreliable router & Access Control features

lacostej
Aspirant

Unreliable router & Access Control features

Hello

I've had a RBK23 system for about a year. I am using the Access Control system to control access for my kid devices.

I have been running into issues regularly since the begining.

1. using the UI to block / unblock the devices is unreliable. One needs to wait 10/30s before refreshing the UI otherwise the data returned to the UI is out of date.

2. it is impossible to allow a non connected device from the Android app. Because of this I wrote a command line tool to block/allow set of devices based on their mac addresses. It's practical because it's much faster and reliable than the UI. (*)

3. but allowed devices get blocked regularly. Without doing anything. Rebooting doesn't help. I sometimes switch WIFI off/on and it fixes itself. Sometimes I reboot the router and it works again.

The last element is really really annoying. This week I've had to turn off the AccessControl system a few times. It just doesn't work or randomly breaks.

E.g. when it blocks my own computer:

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.03.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.03.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.04.27 PM.png

Now that I spend most of my time working from home, I can't have that.

It seems that Netgear only provides 90 days of support. A bit sad.

Weird to have intend to purchase extra support for a product that already costed 300 USD and doesn't work properly.

So has anyone faced and solved similar issues? Can Netgear open a ticket and fix what appears to be firmware issues?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unreliable router & Access Control features

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What browser are you using? Happes with other browsers?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

You can request a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 2 of 4
lacostej
Aspirant

> What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V2.7.3.22

> What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Cisco EPC3928AD

Note that the problem is solved by rebooting RBR20 or turning off/on the access control feature.  So I think the issue is in the Netgear applicance.

> What browser are you using? Happes with other browsers?

Access control blocks at network level. Not http related. ICMP, SSH, etc nothing works.

> Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

The router might have received automated updates, so probably not. But this problem has been there since first use of the access control feature.

I'll try that and report in a few weeks.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@lacostej wrote:

I've had a RBK23 system for about a year. I am using the Access Control system to control access for my kid devices.

I have been running into issues regularly since the begining.

1. using the UI to block / unblock the devices is unreliable. One needs to wait 10/30s before refreshing the UI otherwise the data returned to the UI is out of date.

2. it is impossible to allow a non connected device from the Android app. Because of this I wrote a command line tool to block/allow set of devices based on their mac addresses. It's practical because it's much faster and reliable than the UI. (*)

3. but allowed devices get blocked regularly. Without doing anything. Rebooting doesn't help. I sometimes switch WIFI off/on and it fixes itself. Sometimes I reboot the router and it works again.

The last element is really really annoying. This week I've had to turn off the AccessControl system a few times. It just doesn't work or randomly breaks.

E.g. when it blocks my own computer:

command line tool: (I am assuming you have found a way to enable telnet on the router, which was removed from the debug screen by firmware V2.7.3.22.)  Bypassing the router firmware on the command line to directly manipulate router network tables may have unintended consequences.

It is no surprise to hear that the Orbi app does not seem to function correctly. The forum is full of comments about how the app fails to deal with devices correctly (and the network diagram).

I have a suspicion that the solution to the underlying problem may lie on the kids actual devices, not on the WiFi router.  I know parents who use Family Time to regulate the amount of screen time their children have.

I sincerely wish there were an easy, obvious, (and free) solution to regulating kids use of technology.  From what I see on the various forums (here, the app forum, the Parental Controls forums), no one seems particuarly satisfied.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7