Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using a Netgear D6400 Modem/router as a modem only with a Orbi RBR50

JohnMordaunt
Aspirant

Using a Netgear D6400 Modem/router as a modem only with a Orbi RBR50

I set the D6400 to modem only and rebooted it, then powered it off for 2 minutes. I plugged the Orbi router into the modems internet port and powered on the modem. I waited until the modem was powered up and then powered the orbi on. I connected to the Orbi ansd set it up and it reported that all was good, BUT I cannot stream from Netflix, BBC iPlayer or Disney. Any other attempt to access the internet is extremely slow almost dialup speeds. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?  

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JohnMordaunt
Aspirant

Re: Using a Netgear D6400 Modem/router as a modem only with a Orbi RBR50

After 4 Factory resets of the Netgear D6400 and setting it up until I could set it to modem only, my orbi finally decided to accept that there was a modem there that it could use. I hope this helps anyone with similar issues.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@JohnMordaunt wrote:

Can anyone tell me what is wrong?  

We usually start by asking, "What has changed?" and some more information.

• Is this the initial installation, or was the D6400 in use for some time prior to adding the Orbi?
  • Is the D6400 connected to a DSL line or to a cable modem?
  • Does the Orbi report its WAN address as a "public" address or a "private" address?
    Private addresses begin with 192.168, 10.0, or 172.16 through 172.32.
  • What performance do you get when the Orbi is removed and a device is plugged directly into the D6400?
Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Has a power OFF of the modem and RBR for 1 minute then back on been performed? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@JohnMordaunt wrote:

I set the D6400 to modem only and rebooted it, then powered it off for 2 minutes. I plugged the Orbi router into the modems internet port and powered on the modem. I waited until the modem was powered up and then powered the orbi on. I connected to the Orbi ansd set it up and it reported that all was good, BUT I cannot stream from Netflix, BBC iPlayer or Disney. Any other attempt to access the internet is extremely slow almost dialup speeds. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?  

Message 3 of 7
JohnMordaunt
Aspirant

I have had the D6400 modem/router since June 2015 and it is connected to a DSL line. The D6400 works perfectly but there are a few dead spots in its coverage and we now have more devices than it can handle. THe Orbi reports it address as private (starting with 198.168). When the Orbi is removed the performace from the D6400 is as before very good with a few dead spots in its coverage.

The Orbi firmware is V2.5.1.16. The D6400 firmware is V1.0.0.88_1.0.88. THe modem and the RBR were powered off for two minutes, with the RBR being powered on after the modem was fully powered back on. My house is in the UK and not very big the D6400 covered it quite well.

When the Orbi is used as an access point, that is with the D6400 used as a modem router and the Orbi just plugged into one off the ethernet ports not login into the ISP it covers all the house with no dead spots and access all streaming sites very fast.

I only have issues when trying to use the D6400 as a modem only. Is there anything else I have to do on the D6400 apart from setting the device mode to modem only, and plugging the Orbi into the D6400 internet port and setting the Orbi to login to the ISP.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to post about in the DSL modem forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

There maybe additional settings on the modem that is needed. Contact the ISP aswell for ISP acocunt information that maybe needed on the RBR. 

@JohnMordaunt wrote:

I have had the D6400 modem/router since June 2015 and it is connected to a DSL line. The D6400 works perfectly but there are a few dead spots in its coverage and we now have more devices than it can handle. THe Orbi reports it address as private (starting with 198.168). When the Orbi is removed the performace from the D6400 is as before very good with a few dead spots in its coverage.

The Orbi firmware is V2.5.1.16. The D6400 firmware is V1.0.0.88_1.0.88. THe modem and the RBR were powered off for two minutes, with the RBR being powered on after the modem was fully powered back on. My house is in the UK and not very big the D6400 covered it quite well.

When the Orbi is used as an access point, that is with the D6400 used as a modem router and the Orbi just plugged into one off the ethernet ports not login into the ISP it covers all the house with no dead spots and access all streaming sites very fast.

I only have issues when trying to use the D6400 as a modem only. Is there anything else I have to do on the D6400 apart from setting the device mode to modem only, and plugging the Orbi into the D6400 internet port and setting the Orbi to login to the ISP.

Message 5 of 7
JohnMordaunt
Aspirant

After 4 Factory resets of the Netgear D6400 and setting it up until I could set it to modem only, my orbi finally decided to accept that there was a modem there that it could use. I hope this helps anyone with similar issues.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation