Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WLAN Backhaul Turn Off

stevefxp
Apprentice

WLAN Backhaul Turn Off

If my Orbi satellite is using a wired ethernet backhaul what happens to the default WLAN backhaul? Does that get used for normal wireless mode or is it lost?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

The upper 5GHz channels used for Backhaul will not be used for clients when using Ethernet Backhaul. These will be used as backup when your wired network fails and you need to fall back to wireless so these will be on all time.

But I also noticed that when using wirelsee Backhaul the Router and Satellites will each have 2 hidden 5 GHz networks for the Backhaul, but when using wired Backhaul only one hidden network per node will be used for Backhaul.

Message 2 of 7
st_shaw
Master

I believe the two hidden SSIDs per satellite appear when daisy chain is enabled.  If daisy chain is not enabled, there is only one hidden SSID per satellite.

Message 3 of 7
stevefxp
Apprentice

I do not understand why we do not have an option to turn off the wireless backhaul when wired is in place and operational. Its a tremendous amount of wireless bandwidth that is going unused, and I also do not know what is traversing either the wired or wireless backhaul, since both are still in place.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

I guess that the wireless backhaul (2x2 of the backhaul) will be used as fallback option in case that Ethernet backhaul fails.

I would like that Netgear will allow the user to choose which channels to use for the fronthaul (clients) and which for backhaul. Today only 4 channels (5GHz) are allowed for fronthaul all other channels are open only for backhaul which is really a waste if you're using wired backhaul.

Message 5 of 7
Aleksanderh
Initiate

I recently bought RBK50 as they have received good reviews and support ethernet backhaul, which is a key feature. So, I'm hoping that Netgear will tweak the Ethernet backhaul further too also add the feature to use the capacity of the wireless backhaul when daisy-chaining is disabled. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you can post here about:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Something that may or may not be included anytime soon however. 

Good Luck. 

@Aleksanderh wrote:

I recently bought RBK50 as they have received good reviews and support ethernet backhaul, which is a key feature. So, I'm hoping that Netgear will tweak the Ethernet backhaul further too also add the feature to use the capacity of the wireless backhaul when daisy-chaining is disabled. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7