Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Webcam streaming issues

ScottWay
Aspirant

Webcam streaming issues

I am having issues with streaming webcams from a university campus. These stream perfectly from every location I visit with my computers and phones:  coffee shops, work place, other peoples homes. They stream fine over cellular data as well.

However, none of my devices will stream these cams at home on my wifi using my Orbi. I have disabled all parental controls. I have latest firmware.

I do not have issues with other webcams, at least I have never encountered any issues and I stream a lot.

https://www.mtu.edu/webcams/campus/

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
ScottWay
Aspirant

Re: Webcam streaming issues

I think its *FIXED*!! Thanks to everyone for the advise and support.

I had unplugged and cycled my Spectrum modem many times. Today I decided to RESET it. Well, that did the trick. It seems crazy to me but that was it. How very odd.

Thanks again to everyone in the NG support pages!

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What devices do you have that you use to stream from these cameras? 

What is the size of your home or apt? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

I have firmware V2.5.0.38

I have a Spectrum modem PC15

Orbi is in Router mode.

I have a 3000 sq ft house and the two satelites are approx 30-40 ft from the base, but the devices all connect to the base (a whole other problem).

All devices have trouble in my home with thsi particulr sites webcams., Android phones, Lenovo desktop, Dell laptop.

Settings are:

WIRELESS SETTINGS (GENERAL)
Region North America
2.4G Channel Auto ( 7 )
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P)
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

All these are enabled:

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology
Explicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

I will try disabling a few of the settings you mention. I have tried these in the past but will again.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 18
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@ScottWay, you are running v2.5.0.x firmware, and it was retracted by Netgear after many bugs were found.  NG disabled autoupdate in recent releases due to the issues that it has caused.  I suggest manually upgrading your RBR50 and RBS50 to v2.5.1.8 available from https://www.netgear.com/suppzio fort/product/RBK53.aspx#download

1. Backup your settings of the RBR50 router (in case you need to restore or revert)

2. Download the zip file for both the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite

3. Unzip the files

4. Manually upgrade the firmware on the RBS50 satellites first using the RBS-v2.5.1.8.img file

5. Finally, upgrade the firmware on the RBR50 router using the RBR-v2.5.1.8.img file

@ScottWay wrote:

I have firmware V2.5.0.38

I have a Spectrum modem PC15

Orbi is in Router mode.

I have a 3000 sq ft house and the two satelites are approx 30-40 ft from the base, but the devices all connect to the base (a whole other problem).

All devices have trouble in my home with thsi particulr sites webcams., Android phones, Lenovo desktop, Dell laptop.

Settings are:

WIRELESS SETTINGS (GENERAL)
Region North America
2.4G Channel Auto ( 7 )
2.4G Mode Up to 400 Mbps
5G Channel 36+40+44+48(P)
5G Mode Up to 866.7 Mbps

All these are enabled:

Enable Daisy-Chain Topology
Explicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

I will try disabling a few of the settings you mention. I have tried these in the past but will again.

Message 4 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

Oh wow, well that is great news I think 🙂 

I never read about them disabling autoupdate.

I will give this a whirl tomorrow. I need to abort for the evening. Thanks and I will report back!

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

And please try manually updating FW. RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Message 6 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

Could you point me to the manual upgrade instructions for the satellites?

Thx again!

Message 7 of 18
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

To upgrade your satellites firmware:

1) Login to http://orbilogin.com and click on the "Attached Devices" tile.  At the top of this list will be your satellites.  Note the IP address of each satellite.

2) Open a browser window to the IP address of the satellite, login with the same credentials used on your router.

3) Click on the "Firmware Update" link.

4) Upload the image file for the satellite and follow the prompts.

5) Once updated, the satellite will reboot.

6) Repeat for any other satellites.

@ScottWay wrote:

Could you point me to the manual upgrade instructions for the satellites?

Thx again!

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@ScottWay wrote:

I am having issues with streaming webcams from a university campus.

However, none of my devices will stream these cams at home on my wifi using my Orbi. I have disabled all parental controls.

LOVE the campus webcams. (They stream fine on my Orbi RBR50.)   Would it be OK to ask which web browser is being used to stream these cams?  (on which platforms?)

I would be sort of shocked to think that Disney Circle could ever find these streams objectionable.

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, that particular firmware has been "disgraced" and users are encouraged to update to 2.5.1.8.  I sincerely doubt that the Orbi firmware is the cause of this specific problem, but there is no sense remaining on firmware with "known issues" of any kind.

Could you explain more about "what happens" when you attempt to stream these feeds?

Message 9 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

Yes the cams are great. I watch my son play broomball.

I use Chromium Edge browser on win10. Chrome on Android. I have Circle disabled.
Message 10 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

Forgot to mention..the adobe module loads and the stream tries to start but just circles. Never loads and times out.
Message 11 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

My first step would be to try another browser, Firefox or Opera.

Message 12 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

Well, the router and satellite upgrades went well. Unfortunately the webcams of interest still do not work. As I mentioned a) they work as soon as I switch to cellular b) I get same results in multiple browsers and c) works fine if I connect to other wifi (work, coffee shop, neighbor). Strange.

Message 13 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

Anyone have any more ideas? I'll take far out, reaching ideas at this point. Fully stumped.

Message 14 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

And we're certain that Disney Circle and Bitdefender Armor are not activated on this Orbi?

There are no "forbidden sites" defined?

There is nothing in the Orbi log file at this tiime?

Message 15 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

I am sure. I have disabled Circle. Armor is expired. I have tried changing the DNS to OpenDNS servers. I have gone back to defaults.No blocked sites. The Orbi logs are pretty slim so unless there is something verbose I am not seeing anything.

Message 16 of 18
ScottWay
Aspirant

I had unplugged and cycled my Spectrum modem many times. Today I decided to RESET it. Well, that did the trick. It seems crazy to me but that was it. How very odd.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that fixed it and it wasn't the Orbi. Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@ScottWay wrote:

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7