Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why do I *have* to use DynDNS or NoIP if I want to enable VPN?

psxndc
Initiate

Why do I *have* to use DynDNS or NoIP if I want to enable VPN?

Just got the Orbi system and on the whole, absolutely love it! Way faster than my old network setup. One issue I'm running into is enabling the VPN service. If I haven't selected "use a Dynamic DNS Service" under the Dynamic DNS tab, I cannot select "Enable VPN Service" in the VPN tab.

As far as I can tell, I cannot select "use a Dynamic DNS Service" without choosing the DynDNS or NoIP/Netgear option. The problem is that I do have a dynamic DNS service that I already have and pay for (ZoneEdit) and I don't feel like switching to DynDNS or NoIP. I've registered for a NoIP free account just to get past this step so I can enable the VPN service, but it sounds like I'm going to have to verify my account every 30 days? Yuck.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to enable the VPN without using the apparently mandated DynDNS or NoIP?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
thombe
Apprentice

In fact, I am considering buying the Orbi, but also have a question over ddns, I want to use dnsomatic to update two services, dyndns and also opendns 

has anyone used the orbi with these items? 

Ben

Message 2 of 4
psxndc
Initiate

@thombe wrote:

I want to use dnsomatic to update two services, dyndns and also opendns 

It wouldn't work, at least not via the Orbi's amdinistration interface. Orbi's admin UI gives you the option using/updating No-IP (or mynetgear.com, which is really through No-IP) or DynDNS for dynamic dns and that's it.  If you were to have a perl script or cron job on a computer behind your Orbi update those, that'd work, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the Orbi itself and you wouldn't need to enable ddns on the Orbi at all.

MY question was "can I enable the VPN Service without explicitly using one of those two services?" which I apparently can't. I did set up a mynetgear account, enabled the VPN and everything is working fine for now, but I suspect they require one of those services to enable the VPN service to generate the configuration files for the VPN clients. When I was setting up the clients, I noticed a reference in the config files to the mynetgear domain I set up, so I edited the mynetgear.com portion to be my normal domain name, and was still able to connect to the VPN just fine.  I'm going to let the mynetgear account lapse (you have to renew it every 30 days, which is a pain) and see if I can still connect to my VPN.  I'll post my results back here so people know one way or another.

Separately, I'll say I'm very pleased with the Orbi so far. Bandwidth throughout my apartment is great and the ease of setting of the VPN - dns question aside - was great. I tried setting up a VPN server on my computer awhile ago and it was a nightmare trying to navigate all the options; having it built into the router was much much easier.

Message 3 of 4
thombe
Apprentice

Sorry, I had appreciated your question, I was simply adding one in (cheeky i know). Glad to hear you are otherwise happy with it...  Don't ideally want to go the cron job route. VPN Server also important for me.
I use an Asus DSL-AC68U which is great, also has no need for a modem as its built in.. so i'd have to dig out my old modem to connect to the Orbi. So its not yeat an ideal solution for me, but would it seems fix my coverage issue. 
I'm about 3,500 sqft over 3 floors, with router and all other IT kit (printers, sonos boost, telephone base etc)  in a cupboard in the office. I thought I was being clever at the time putting it all nicely away. 

Thanks for reply... good luck with it.. 

B

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7