Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi connections to Orbi - Latency spikes and timeouts

ResmoDaimac
Follower

WiFi connections to Orbi - Latency spikes and timeouts

Greetings

Any and all help is appreciated!

Issue: Intermittent latency spikes and timeouts when connected via WiFi to Orbi mesh network.
Impact: Makes voice communications (e.g. - Teams, Discord) sound robotic at times. Makes online games unplayable. Streaming services, such as Netflix, are not noticably impacted. This has only started occurring in the last week or so.

Example Screenshots
latency example 1.png

latency example 2.png

Setup & Technical Information:

Network Setup: From wall to DSL modem (ATT) to Orbi router to 1 Orbi satellite. Laptop connecting via WiFi. DSL modem is configured to cascade and not act as the router, passing on those responsibilities to the Orbi device.

House (Area of coverage): 4150 sq. ft.

Orbi Model: RBR50 (both the router and the satellite)

Orbi Firmware: V2.7.1.60 (both the router and the satellite)

Orbi Settings:

• Router mode
  • 2.4Ghz network enabled, channel auto-select
  • 5Ghz network enabled, channel 48
  • orbi wireless settings.png

Primary client: Windows 10 Laptop (up to date on patches and drivers). Wireless network adapter is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Troubleshooting steps (Results noted. If not noted, then no change in results):

• Tested wired connection directly to Orbi router. The issue wasn't present when wired, narrowing down that it's a WiFi issue and not my internet speeds or ISP.
  • Rebooted modem (before I narrowed it to a WiFi issue)
  • Rebooted Orbi router & satellite
  • Factory reset to modem
  • Configured modem to pass responsibilities to Orbi
  • Forwarded ports for associated applications
  • Ensured uPnP was enabled
  • Updated to latest Orbi firmware
  • Updated wireless card drivers
  • Reset Orbi
  • Re-sync'ed Orbi router to Orbi satellite
  • Constant ping to Orbi router from multiple WiFi connected clients (different laptops) and received latency spikes and dropped packets across different client systems.
  • Toggled and tweaked various Orbi settings. (e.g. - Enabling/disabling daisy chaining, MU MIMO, fast roaming, implicit beamforming, WMM). Current settings are noted above.
  • Toggled and tweaked various client wireless card settings, including lowering roaming aggressiveness and enabling "Throughput booster". (This was before I recognized that the issue spans across multiple clients and thus likely not a client issue.)
  • Contemplated lighting the Orbi on fire

Tried to make this post as comprehensive as possible, but I'm undoubtedly leaving out some details or troubleshooting steps I've taken. Please let me know if you need any more detail.

Thanks ahead of time for your efforts & assistance with this!

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WiFi connections to Orbi - Latency spikes and timeouts

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and just work with the RBR alone? 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7